JKOwners Forum banner
1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Openly Hostile
6,938 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So how many of you guys/gals are musicians?

I've been playing guitar for around 16 years. Been in several bands, but not in the last 7 years or so. I suffer from G.A.S. My main guitars are a 98 Les Paul double cut and a 2006 Taylor 814ce LTD. I had a Tom Anderson strat that I sold a couple months ago (I miss it, shouldn't have sold it). I just bought a older Mosvalve 962 over the weekend to power my podxt through a marshall 4x12. I was looking at getting an Engl head, but decided to go cheap and get the power amp. Stupid jeep takes all my play money, haha.

·
Premium Member
15,290 Posts
Alvarez acoustic/ Taylor acoustic/ Jackson electric/ Marshall Lead 12/ Crate CR ?

Playing for about 13-14 years. Been in several bands...but long ago. They were all local gigs, no professional studio tracks. Don't play on reg basis anymore. Always something else going on. Love to play on overnight camping/ wheeling trips. Originals+ some country...Pink Floyd. SRV, Zeppelin, Alice in Chains, Eagles, lots of classic stuff.

G.A.S. - You fart frequently? Thinking something something syndrome...(?)

·
Premium Member
15,290 Posts
Still got me stumped? You are a "gear-head" now? Or is this a medical condition?

No big deal...Just curious.

·
Openly Hostile
6,938 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Still got me stumped? You are a "gear-head" now? Or is this a medical condition?

No big deal...Just curious.
haha, no worries.. GAS is a termed used alot on music forums. It just means that you tend to buy a lot of musical gear..guitars, amps, pedals. I am always buying something and then selling it and buying something else.

·
Openly Hostile
6,938 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Guitar for about 25 years. Mandolin for about 10 years. I now play mandolin better than I do guitar, but I cheat. I tune my mandolin EADG for a guitar sound. I can bend notes like on a guitar but I get the twangy sound of a mando.

I only play acoustic but I do own an Ibanez electric and some loud ass peavy amp.

I love JAM. Improv is pretty much all I play. Buddies and I get together occasionally and play til we're too ****faced to keep it going. Usually make it close to sunrise.

I love jamming around a campfire.
I figured you for a guitar player, haha.

·
Registered
853 Posts
haha, no worries.. GAS is a termed used alot on music forums. It just means that you tend to buy a lot of musical gear..guitars, amps, pedals. I am always buying something and then selling it and buying something else.
Ah ha! That is what my son has! And somehow I have been paying for it. Oh well my thought is someday he will make tons of money playing/recording whatever and take care of dear ole mom. :shaking:

·
Registered
3,569 Posts
1966 Chet Atkins Country Gentleman and a 64 Fender Stratocaster...both still like new.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Takamine EA40C, Takamine EA10C 12 string, Gibson ES335, Swart Atomic Amp, Birdsong Custom made bass and a Phil Jones Suitcase amp. None of them in showroom condition. Been playing about ten years now in 2-3 local bands. Still can't decide whether I like Jeeping or playing more. I'm still trying to figure out how to combine the two.

·
Registered
11,028 Posts
Step 1: load guitar into jeep w/ camping supplies.
Step 2: drive jeep to woods and set up camp.
Step 3: Wheel all day.
Step 4: Pick guitar w/ drunken friends around campfire til you pass out in chair or hat catches on fire.

That's how I do it. In 4 easy steps.
Step 4, oops.....God, I can't wait to go down and get stuck in the mud with my stock tires...um, I mean wheel with you guys!:)

·
Openly Hostile
6,938 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)

Sorry, the photos are from my phone. It isn't perfect (few dents, dings, and scratches here and there) but I love her.
Awesome man, thanks for sharing. I would love to play that! Do you play it much? I'd be scared to mess up a 25k guitar, but it woudl ba shame not to play it regularly. I bet the neck feels awesome!!!!!

·
Registered
394 Posts
Nice looking Tele! I have a MIM Jazz Bass that I occasionally try to play. I have a tendency to buy the instruments that musicians I admire play. I am quite sure I will never sound like John Entwistle, but I can try. I once bought a Strat because SRV made it sound sooo easy. The greats always do. I have also had a few drum sets that I have borrowed from by brother who has more than any one person needs. My main instrument, though, is the saxophone. I have a Couf soprano, a Selmer Balanced Action alto (circa late 40's) a Conn alto from the 70's (my first) A Conn tenor, a 1957 Selmer Mk VI tenor, and an old Getz baritone sax. Shame I dont play them too much anymore, but I have been more into the bass.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Thanks Guys. I play it as much as I play any. Which isn't much anymore... But I love the way it plays. The action is lower and softer than anything else I have ever touched. It is like your fingers magically hold the strings. I wasn't sure about the year and all I had was the 4 digit serial number off the back. I called the curator of the Fender museum and asked if there was a way to look up the year. He got me close, but he said that the only way to know exactly was to seperate the neck from the body and it would be penciled in. Well I was literally shaking when I did it, but I did it. The neck and the body have the date written in. the body was late 53 the neck early 54. Kind of a Frankenstein from the factory. He said it happened with some that were late in the year like that. I told him from the beginning I wasn't interested in selling it. He said he had a list of people that would like to buy it. I will have it till the day I die.

Enough about me sorry. Anybody else got some photos??? You guys have some nice gear sounds like.

·
Registered
394 Posts

With the old pick gaurd.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.