JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First things first, the vendor isnt benchmark I'm talking about.

If you ordered let's say over $2k in merchandise and were charged upfront, how long after the initial time you were told to ship would you cut your losses and demand a refund / file c.c dispute?

Before anyone's panties get in a bunch, I fully understand shipping and production delays, just wanting everyone's general opinion

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
Depends on where it is shipped from and tracking #.
Also what is the time limit to dispute with your cc company.
Did you make calls to vendor?
E-mail?
BS responses from vendor?
Vendor reputable?
How far from your location, can someone stop by and ask them face to face?

·
Registered
2,012 Posts
Step 1.
Depends on where it is shipped from and tracking #.
Also what is the time limit to dispute with your cc company.
Did you make calls to vendor?
E-mail?
BS responses from vendor?
Vendor reputable?
How far from your location, can someone stop by and ask them face to face?
Step 2. If you answered yes to all of the above questions, see below. If you answered no to any of them, return to Step 1 and start over.
Question is too vague. Who is the perp and what is the product?

AMP

·
Registered
3,062 Posts
For starters, never allow any company to charge you upfront for something that is not shipping immediately.

If a company has done that or tries do that, kindly tell them if they want your money they will charge your credit card when they're shipping your order.

I've seen ALOT of posts where people get billed up front for stuff and the companies take weeks or even months to ship your order (LoD, Shrockworks, Benchmark to name a few off the top of my head).

My suggestion if you haven't done this already, get said vendor on the phone tell them they either ship the product now, refund your credit card until said product ships, or if they will not comply with either of those requests, file a dispute with your credit card company.

The few big purchases I made for my JK were bumpers and sliders from LoD. Now mind you, prior to ordering I'd heard the nightmares of people placing orders and getting charged up front only to wait for weeks or months for Chris to get the stuff built and shipped. In my case I called him on the phone, placed my order and made sure to stipulate I wasn't getting charged until the order shipped. For me, it worked out reasonably fine, save for some issues unrelated to billing.

Good luck and hope everything works out for you.

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Quoted time to build was 1.5-2 weeks plus shipping. I'm entering week 6. Every time I've called it's been a different excuse and that it will be going out tomorrow or the next day.

Again I understand stuff happens, but the way it's going I can't help but feel I'm given the runaround with the different excuses each time.

·
Administrator
8,749 Posts
Quoted time to build was 1.5-2 weeks plus shipping. I'm entering week 6. Every time I've called it's been a different excuse and that it will be going out tomorrow or the next day.

Again I understand stuff happens, but the way it's going I can't help but feel I'm given the runaround with the different excuses each time.
Many threads about this. Benchmark is no longer a Yellow Star Vendor for JKO.. for good reason.

The longest you should wait is at most a week before your time frame expires with your CC company to charge back.

·
Registered
2,287 Posts
For starters, never allow any company to charge you upfront for something that is not shipping immediately.
Some people actually prefer to be charged upfront on a 6 week wait. We sell a lot of Gobi racks, some folks like to pay up front, others like to pay closer to the ship date, and others like to split pay half and half. It really all depends on the deal and expectations you make with the vendor and making sure everyone is happy with it.

On a custom rack, special color etc. we would want the money upfront, it's kinda hard to sell a bright yellow Gobi rack if the customer backs out :)

·
Registered
1,694 Posts

Normally I don't allow a vendor to charge my account until a product is ready to ship. I made an exception with ORH for my soft top, because I know how fucked-up Tim is and how nice the top is, and even though he promised 2 weeks I knew that 2 months would be the minimum. Still, Tim didn't charge my credit card until he was actually shipping my top. Which was good because it took just over 3 months for him to ship.

In your case I'd be screaming. The question is how bad you want the merchandise and can you get just as good someplace else. I'd ask the vendor to refund my payment and then charge me again when he's actually ready to ship. If he doesn't agree, then call your credit card issuer and notify them of the problem.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I would wait as long as it takes if I really wanted the item as long as the company sticks to their quoted lead times. I ordered from hanson a body mount tire carrier. After 3 different scheduled ship dates elapsed I emailed them and said I would require a tracking number that day or I would be cancelling my order. I never heard back from them so I cancelled my order and ordered a OR-Fab carrier instead. If they told me 2 months right out of the gate and stuck to their word I would have waited. Getting strung along is not something I am receptive to.

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
Normally I don't allow a vendor to charge my account until a product is ready to ship. I made an exception with ORH for my soft top, because I know how fucked-up Tim is and how nice the top is, and even though he promised 2 weeks I knew that 2 months would be the minimum. Still, Tim didn't charge my credit card until he was actually shipping my top. Which was good because it took just over 3 months for him to ship.
...x2

1 - 16 of 16 Posts