JKOwners Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So to stem off a thread on Pirate, how is your job looking? Safe? I just notice a lot more folks talking about selling their JK's here too.

My job "seems" safe so far. 1 of 2 folks who do the licensing work for a very large company and we barely have enough time to keep them renewed. We are now on a "renew as needed" basis to save money. As a company we are moving things around, folks cant order useless supplies anymore, any company paid trip is looked at to make sure it is needed, UPS is sent ground, not 2nd day air or Overnight and OT has been cut, period... if you think you might get OT well your ass better be leaving early or taking a long lunch on Friday.

Hope all of you out there are safe and don't have to lose sleep at night trying to figure out the "what ifs" like I tend to do. Guess it is better to worry about it now and be ready than it is to pretend it will never happen.

·
Registered
3,569 Posts
Looking good...thanks to the overwhelming number of idiots who use the emergency room like their personal physician...nowhere near the numbers needed for nurses, nurse practitioners, and physician assistants...pretty much we write our own tickets.

·
Registered
608 Posts
The company I work for is directly related to housing. I am the new guy, so, not good for me. They have let a few people go, but their have been a few people leave for school or transfer to a different department so I am sure that has helped me keep my job.

·
Registered
3,203 Posts
Day in, day out in the automotive industry. I design training programs and do in-dealer consulting programs for a manufacturer (on the service side), so I am pretty much relied upon for dealer profit training right now.

But it could still go away at any given moment.

·
Registered
4,506 Posts
So far, I would say my job is pretty safe. We have shut down three PE reactors and reduced rates on our ethylene crackers. This is mainly a precautionary measure to aid in reducing year end inventories in an effort to minimize the effects any market surprises early next year.

G

·
We’re not making much money but staying afloat so far. Bonuses, pay raises etc. are frozen but I’m glad to have a paycheck every two weeks.

·
Registered
273 Posts
I was laid off already...so I started a new business, and so far...its working, despite the crappy conditions. Its also given me more time for volunteer work, etc.

Assuming I don't lay myself off I should still have a job, but then again, I suppose I might have to moonlight if things get too bad in the future.

:D

·
Registered
321 Posts
I start a new one monday in So Cal. It got slow here in AZ so when the chance came to move I did (am).
Where you gonna end up? Maybe we cane hook up and go wheeling when you get out here?

It is slow I am glad to have a job.

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
Airlines have been shakey since 9/11. There is work out there if your mobile.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
My job is somewhat secure since i am a truck driver... But i am feeling the slowdown due to people not buying like they used to.

I have a feeling it's going to get alot worse before it gets better.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Was doing great up to April this year and everything dropped. I design inground pools, no I mean designED inground pools & spas. This is the first time I collected unemployment in 26 years.
Thank GOD I'm a carpenter by trade. I'm working three different jobs to make ends meet. We ate tonight & were warm & indoors.
Be Well ALL!
Ray

·
Banned
10,062 Posts
I get calls, emails, and letters in the mail DAILY asking me to work for them. My job is very in demand and should stay that way barring a huge reshuffle of medicare. Wife is a Physical Therapist - so we're both pretty secure right now. Unless they cure - aging.

Anyone thinking about going back to school for retraining: you cant go wrong in the medical field right now (specifically therapy - PT, OT, ST).

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
So my job is based around the construction industry, more so the Home Improvement aspect of it so we have the up and down months as well. We did make numbers last month though!

My girlfriend is an event coordinator and she has been working 6-7 days a week. A lot of job fairs going on, lots of companies having meetings to decide on things, ect and she stays pretty busy with all that.

·
Registered
208 Posts
I work for an engineering consulting firm, business is a little so, but I'm good...so far. My company is really conservative. Only hire when really needed. I'd rather be a little short handed a work more than be let go at every economic downturn like some of the really large firms do.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.