JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
11,065 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Here is something I learned just last year, some of you may know this already but I thought I would share. My memories of cooking at camp seem to involve a flaming stick or a charred pot in an open fire.:shaking:

Well we finally went on a real camping trip with my stepson last fall and apparently he is a master, he's been doing this stuff since he was small.

The campsite with plenty of hickory firewood for cheating:grinpimp: works equally well with gathered wood.

Campfire (the place I used to burn food):

Small pit filled with coals from fire:

·
Registered
313 Posts
We have a big metal pole that we hammer into the ground next to the fire with various pans that can be swung over the hot coals for cooking. Ideal project if you are learning to weld!

If we want to roast something then we use a camp oven sitting on a bed of hot embers, with some more piled on the lid.

Cook a roast..

Or bake your own bread...

·
Registered
3,730 Posts

·
Registered
5,839 Posts
when my family goes camping thats 3 including me adn we usually bring a freind or something so we use are 2 burner coleman propane stove.

i think if it were just 1 or two ppl camping the jet boil is an awesome looking product.
http://www.jetboil.com/

kinda of big pics

·
Registered
2,907 Posts
depends on what kind of camping im doing.

weekend of rockclimbing and car camping i use my coleman duel burner because there is usually several people with me

if its just me or me and one of my buddies going minimalist then we use embers to cook ramen.

1) get fire going
2) dig small pit
3) put embers in hole with titanium pot that has water and ramen
4) put lid on and let cook
5) eat

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
This is how Bodyguy does it, or used to do it anyway,I think he sold the pit with the offroad trailer!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
Most of the time Jet Boil.
Or just Hot Dogs on a coat hanger over the fire.
Maybe even the 2 burner Coleman we have.

·
Registered
45 Posts
one burner butane stove, Cooks awesome. Or stick in fire :D

·
Registered
11,065 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
A lot of interesting options there. I do have a Coleman stove but I've never taken it camping.

I forgot to mention that by transferring the hickory coals to the cooking pit we were able to regulate the heat much better and cook more like a charcoal grill. We had some of the best steaks I've ever eaten that night.

We recently recycled our old Weber grill. I saved the lid to go with us next time.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts