JKOwners Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
3,175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Someone told me the MT/Rs with kevlar dont wear so well on road. Not sure if this is the case cause this is the first time that I have heard this. I wanted to gauge peoples opinions. Thanks...

·
Premium Member
2,533 Posts
I also would like to know this I will be getting new tires in the spring and I am very interested in these:beer:

·
Registered
3,175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Honestly this is coming from the first person that I have heard say anything bad about the MT/R's. I guess I will find out in a year or so if this is the case. Hopefully not. God I really hope not

·
Registered
13,214 Posts
Just keep them rotated often, they'll be fine.

·
Registered
3,175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I meant to ask some about this before, but forgot, you have the PSC BFH? When you did the install and had to cut the crash bar and frame rail, what did you use? I know there are a bunch of options to cut metal but, wanted to see if would make a difference in what I used, Im think a reciprocating saw would be the cheapest route considering my tool selection is very limited.

·
Registered
13,214 Posts
Yes I have a BFH. I used a reciprocating saw with a 6" metal blade. It's tough to beat the straightness of the cut you'll get with a sawzall. Little time consuming to clean up the bash bar when you cut it off, but not too bad.

·
Premium Member
2,533 Posts
I used a sawzall for mine it worked out well if you know someone with a plasma cutter that would make quick work of it, good luck :beer:

·
Registered
13,214 Posts
I used a sawzall for mine it worked out well if you know someone with a plasma cutters that would make quick work of it, good luck :beer:
We had a plasma at our disposal and did not use it for the frame. The problem with the plasma is its so precise and you would have to do four different cuts...which aren't going to be very straight. At least compared to the results we got with the sawzall.

We did use the plasma for the crash bar however.

Sent via paper airplane

·
Premium Member
3,844 Posts
I have 6k on mine and no wear issues at all...I still have the little rubber "new tire" hairs on the side of my tires even. :) And yes, I haven't been offroading as much as I use to wheel due to my travel schedule. :(

·
Premium Member
2,533 Posts
We had a plasma at our disposal and did not use it for the frame. The problem with the plasma is its so precise and you would have to do four different cuts...which aren't going to be very straight. At least compared to the results we got with the sawzall.

We did use the plasma for the crash bar however.

Sent via paper airplane
Ya that does make sense thanks for the clarification :beer:

·
Registered
93 Posts
i have 11k on mine(275/65/18). They have decent road manners, excellent offroad. I can feel them when i come to a stop. Very slight howl. I rotate them every 3k. They are showing excellent wear. I thinking i should be able to get 40-45k out of them.

Only complaint is the mileage. I was averaging 23mpg on the highway. Now at best on highway im getting 19.75mpg. Still pretty good for a tire with some meat on them.

·
Registered
5,113 Posts
Rotate every 3k.... I didn't and waited for te first 10k and now they have work weird.....

Sent via horse and buggy

·
Registered
3,175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well its certainly good to hear that no one, here at least, can back his experience with the MT/RKs. This guy was trying to make me believe that I would be searching for new tires in 20K miles or less.
r

·
Registered
5,113 Posts
no ive had mine daily driven since 19500 miles and i am at 36400 now! and they are great!

·
Registered
3,175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Well I guess my next move is to reinforce my front axle. You guys think tthat upper/lower c gussets will suffice on a d30 with 35s? Adding an inner sleeve costs a lot and I dont wanna have to pay for the labor of adding it if simply adding the gussets will offer enough protection. What do you think?

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
Well I guess my next move is to reinforce my front axle. You guys think tthat upper/lower c gussets will suffice on a d30 with 35s? Adding an inner sleeve costs a lot and I dont wanna have to pay for the labor of adding it if simply adding the gussets will offer enough protection. What do you think?
Your upper c"s are the weak spot..take a look there hour glassed...just take care those n u should be fine..I run a much heavier tire and havnt had any issues

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
I have 61k on my jeep and 50k with 35's on it and a stock d30 with no upgrades or bends.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.