JKOwners Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So when you change your rear diff fluid, how bad is it if only slightly less than 1 quart drains out? :bawling:

I got regeared about three weeks ago, and I'm assuming the guy overfilled the rear diff as it initially shot out the breather hose when I'd go on the interstate. It stopped coming out of the breather after the third or fourth interstate run.

And then ... I'd occasionally notice some diff fluid on the bottom of the passenger-rear tire. It made a wet mark on the tire, but it wasn't enough to see on the ground after I moved the JK.

I changed the rear diff fluid tonight (first time ever doing that). I removed the diff cover and let it all drain for like 10-15 minutes, cleaned it up, put the cover back on, and filled it up (2.375 quarts Mobile1).

The old oil in the drain pan only filled 95% of ONE of the Mobile1 quarts, so obviously way more leaked out than I thought.

It is what it is. Did I shorten the life of my rear gear running it that low for what I'd guess would be the last two weeks (which included one 500-mile trip)?

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
This is what it looked like before I cleaned it out.

Don't know if there's enough info in the pic to tell, but if something looks like an obvious grenade is coming, please let me know!

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
dude your screwed

just kidding. :thefinger:if you didnt get the gears overheated because of the low oil i would say your ok. the pic is hard to see much.if your getting oil on the inside of the rear tire then your seals are leaking. they had to pull the axles to do the gears. any problem since you changed the oil? any noise comming from the rear axle?

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I've only taken a quick "test drive" (around the neighborhood) since I changed the oil tonight, and didn't hear anything weird.

I did just back from a weekend wheeling thing where it was 3 hours @ 70MPH each way, and 1.5 days mostly in 4-LO, so I'm guessing I probably did overheat them somewhere along the way. :bounce: (not)

The dude that did the gears said he'd change the axle seal if I got him the parts (which I guess it the axle seal, bearing, and axle ring?). Are these things I need to snag from the dealer, or will Advance Auto/NAPA likely have them?

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
its been a while for me, but what i remember is that the bearing is the seal. you wont need a new tone ring or backing plate. when i bought my axle shafts i got them already pressed on. did you use synthetic oil? try going back to dino and see if that stops the leak.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Figures, just switched from dino to synth last night. :D

Even if the leak does magically stop, I don't know if I'll ever trust it to stay stopped. I think I'm better of snagging the parts to replace the seal and have the gear guy change it out for me. Thanks for the help! :beer: :beer: :beer:

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
Supposedly Napa has them, but the one by me didnt (or not in stock anyway). I'll be ordering them later today.

Call up you Jeep dealer and ask for the part number for the bearing and the seal, then call Napa and give them the part #.

If they dont have it, Call Marcus at River CIty Offroad. I'm sure he can get you hooked up.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I picked 'em up (timkens) at Auto Zone today. $52 for the seal + bearing/ring.

Thanks for the help figuring out which parts I needed. :beer:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts