JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
JK 3.8L
So, there has been a ton of posts about the HOTOIL light and all have been about the tranny. I just wanted to post this info since if it happened to me, its happened to others..... Ive had an oil leak for awhile (valve cover gasket) and i guess it was worse than i thought. Driving down the freeway, i got the HOTOIL chime and flash. I immediately put it in neutral to turn the engine off and coast to the shoulder BUT the engine shut off on its own. Knowing i had an oil leak, i checked that first. Dry dip stick... Felt like an idiot. ANYHOW, the i posted on our local Jeep groups for help to have someone bring me oil. It took almost 4 qts!
Well, it didnt start! didnt even turn the starter... Checked everything! WORRIED! I then remembered a part on the motor that popped a fuse to prevent the engine from running, but that fuse was good. we checked every fuse. FOUND ONE! 10A Fuse M28 labeled ENG/TRANS was popped. Stuck the new fuse in and it started right up.
I hope this situation helps someone out there. Happy Jeepin!

·
Registered
121 Posts
Thanks for the info I always assumed it was the transmission. Thank god every time mine use to come on it was the transmission.

·
Registered
15 Posts
JK 3.8L
So, there has been a ton of posts about the HOTOIL light and all have been about the tranny. I just wanted to post this info since if it happened to me, its happened to others..... Ive had an oil leak for awhile (valve cover gasket) and i guess it was worse than i thought. Driving down the freeway, i got the HOTOIL chime and flash. I immediately put it in neutral to turn the engine off and coast to the shoulder BUT the engine shut off on its own. Knowing i had an oil leak, i checked that first. Dry dip stick... Felt like an idiot. ANYHOW, the i posted on our local Jeep groups for help to have someone bring me oil. It took almost 4 qts!
Well, it didnt start! didnt even turn the starter... Checked everything! WORRIED! I then remembered a part on the motor that popped a fuse to prevent the engine from running, but that fuse was good. we checked every fuse. FOUND ONE! 10A Fuse M28 labeled ENG/TRANS was popped. Stuck the new fuse in and it started right up.
I hope this situation helps someone out there. Happy Jeepin!
Good info, thanks for sharing. The fuse it ended up being, is that in the PDC?

And the other fuse that was good, where is that at?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts