JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Purchased 2009 4 door Jk. On several ocassions while driving on the beach in 4 wheel drive "hot oil " would display. Brough jeep to service center. Mechanic says he ran diagnostic test and everything looks fine. Has this happened to any of you guys

·
Registered
7,281 Posts
Purchased 2009 4 door Jk. On several ocassions while driving on the beach in 4 wheel drive "hot oil " would display. Brough jeep to service center. Mechanic says he ran diagnostic test and everything looks fine. Has this happened to any of you guys
that hot oil light is for your auto trans fluid, were you in 4hi? you could try 4 low it will run cooler, a lot of us with auto trans have added another transmission cooler.

edit: in 4low your esp is automatically off, in 4hi unless you shut it off you were causing even more slippage heating the trans up more

·
Registered
13,230 Posts
You should not be using 4-high in the sand or most shifty surfaces. If you are using 4-high, that's your problem. Use 4-low. This is a pretty common thing on the boards, many people cook their autos up for leaving it in 4-high. Just my 2cents!

It's hard for you to walk in the sand, the 4500lb Jeep would much rather use the gear reduction to it's advantage.

·
Vendor
1,074 Posts
You should not be using 4-high in the sand or most shifty surfaces. If you are using 4-high, that's your problem. Use 4-low. This is a pretty common thing on the boards, many people cook their autos up for leaving it in 4-high. Just my 2cents!

It's hard for you to walk in the sand, the 4500lb Jeep would much rather use the gear reduction to it's advantage.
Amen, brother!

·
Registered
70 Posts
So what's the deal when you get the hot oil warning and you're not in 4wd?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Guys i was in 4 Wheel high, but will not be any longer , from now on its 4 wheel low for me , You would think that the service guys at jeep would have known this Oh well Glad I found this site

·
Registered
13,230 Posts
So what's the deal when you get the hot oil warning and you're not in 4wd?
Then you're probably hauling something, steep grades, extremely hot out, too tall of tires for the gearing in the axles, etc. Possible regear, or add a aux trans cooler.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Not hauling anything except a few friends , Gonna try 4 wheel low in an hour. Hopefully thats the ticket. Can anyone advice the cost of an aux tranny cooler installed

·
Registered
3 Posts
hot oil warning

I was on the beach and also got this warning, I called the dealership, who was no help, however he did tell me is was probably the transmission not getting enough air to cool it off. After a lengthy discussion all he could tell me was to drive faster.....I have owned jeeps for 13 years and driven all of them (4) on the sand in 4 wheel drive high (packed sand) and never had any problems. I will try the 4 wheel low (seems silly) I don't think I even needed 4 wd at all it was that packed, but this is to small a motor for this vehicle which is probably most of the problem. I was wondering if the dealership installed the coolers at no charge (seems it should be there problem not mine)?

·
Registered
7,281 Posts
but this is to small a motor for this vehicle which is probably most of the problem. I was wondering if the dealership installed the coolers at no charge (seems it should be there problem not mine)?
actually its just the cooling system for the motor and the trans are just barely adequate for the JK, they both suck. The problem should be theirs but they'll never install a cooler for free, no one I've ever seen has gotten one. There are some write ups on here for an install. It greatly helps the tranny run cooler, mine runs about 40-50degrees cooler now. I've also tried it in 4hi vs 4low and it runs anywhere from 10-20 degrees cooler in 4low

·
Registered
3 Posts
actually its just the cooling system for the motor and the trans are just barely adequate for the JK, they both suck. The problem should be theirs but they'll never install a cooler for free, no one I've ever seen has gotten one. There are some write ups on here for an install. It greatly helps the tranny run cooler, mine runs about 40-50degrees cooler now. I've also tried it in 4hi vs 4low and it runs anywhere from 10-20 degrees cooler in 4low
Since I had to pay top dollar for my jeep, It took almost a week for them to find a hardtop with a tow package and they couldn't find one with a standard shift at all. No discount other than $1,500 rebate, but I wanted it. I am going to try to get the dealership to install one. I can raise a little bit of a ruckus anyway. Anything we can do for the transmission? I know they are not going to help with that. I bought this vehicle to go on the beach, as with the ones before. I have always enjoyed them and now I feel like I got cheated.

·
Registered
7,281 Posts
Since I had to pay top dollar for my jeep, It took almost a week for them to find a hardtop with a tow package and they couldn't find one with a standard shift at all. No discount other than $1,500 rebate, but I wanted it. I am going to try to get the dealership to install one. I can raise a little bit of a ruckus anyway. Anything we can do for the transmission? I know they are not going to help with that. I bought this vehicle to go on the beach, as with the ones before. I have always enjoyed them and now I feel like I got cheated.
Just so we are clear that Hot "Oil" light is for your transmission fluid not the engine oil. 4low will probably solve your issue but if you add a tranny cooler you will be 100% good even in 4hi. I would try 4low first. you have an X or sahara right? Installing the cooler airs on the side of caution :D

here are couple write ups on coolers guys have installed, I have the same as Phil D
http://www.jkowners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2458

http://www.jkowners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2322

Good luck with getting the dealer to add it though.

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Well I am shocked:confused:… I have spent 2 summers in phoenix :pissed:driving mostly in dry river washes in 4 high and never had this problem. I must have been lucky, but then I do drive too fast after a few beers so maybe … just maybe drinking and driving saved my jeep! Yeah that’s my story and I am sticking to it:smokin::beer::smokin:

·
Registered
422 Posts
Thanks Guys i was in 4 Wheel high, but will not be any longer , from now on its 4 wheel low for me , You would think that the service guys at jeep would have known this Oh well Glad I found this site
Most service guys at Jeep don't know their head from a hole in the ground...:shaking::shaking:

·
Vendor
1,074 Posts
Well I am shocked:confused:… I have spent 2 summers in phoenix :pissed:driving mostly in dry river washes in 4 high and never had this problem. I must have been lucky, but then I do drive too fast after a few beers so maybe … just maybe drinking and driving saved my jeep! Yeah that’s my story and I am sticking to it:smokin::beer::smokin:
Yeah, but our AZ sand is not the same as driving for long periods of time in soft beach sand. We usually just have very short stretches of sand.

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
actually its just the cooling system for the motor and the trans are just barely adequate for the JK, they both suck.
:confused::confused:

My JK, running around in the heat in 4-lo across boulders and in stop and go traffic, the electric fan never even turns on. The only time it has ever come on is if I'm running it in hot conditions, shut it off for just a minute, and start it back up (when its all heat-soaked). Then it runs for about 30 seconds and shuts back off for good. Frankly, my JK's cooling system kicks arse!

Then again, it is a 2-dr manual....but even so, loaded up with armor and bumpers and winches and humans....it's pretty dang heavy....

·
Registered
3 Posts
Just so we are clear that Hot "Oil" light is for your transmission fluid not the engine oil. 4low will probably solve your issue but if you add a tranny cooler you will be 100% good even in 4hi. I would try 4low first. you have an X or sahara right? Installing the cooler airs on the side of caution :D

here are couple write ups on coolers guys have installed, I have the same as Phil D
http://www.jkowners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2458

http://www.jkowners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2322

Good luck with getting the dealer to add it though.
Thanks, I will install it one way or another, I drive out on the beach all of the time and usually it is in soft sand so I am sure that will be worse. I don't want to have to stop and let it cool off every couple of miles, kinda ruins the whole "jeep" experience. Did Chrysler kill the jeep? Like I said I have driven them for years and this is the 1st time I have had any issues? I hate the thought of buying a 4 runner, so I hope this works.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Just curious

I know this is a little off the topic but if I install a tranny cooler on my 07 Rubicon is it possible to run the tranny fluid too cold? I live in Michigan and my Jeep is my daily driver. Some mornings last winter we had 10 to 15 degrees below zero. I do have an insulated garage though so I doubt first starting out that things would be all that cold. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
7,281 Posts
I know this is a little off the topic but if I install a tranny cooler on my 07 Rubicon is it possible to run the tranny fluid too cold? I live in Michigan and my Jeep is my daily driver. Some mornings last winter we had 10 to 15 degrees below zero. I do have an insulated garage though so I doubt first starting out that things would be all that cold. Any thoughts?
I've seen guys from Canada who installed them and said they had no problems. The torque converter locks up at 88degrees for shifting.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts