JKOwners Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
6,371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So we're sleeping in late today, I hear someone bang on my front door.
I was expecting a Saiga mag in the mail so I thought maybe it was USPS needing a signature.

Throw on clothes fast, look out and see a Harley in my driveway on fire.
Poor guy had stopped to look at the Vette for sale, turned around and his bike was on fire.

I hauled ass out with a fire extinguisher, but it was too late - the tank had popped and fire was roaring. All we could do was watch it burn.
Whole thing was gone in about 10 min - crazy thing was IT STARTED WHILE ON FIRE!
Just for a second or 2, but it chugged to life and scooted itself about 6". Either the starter wiring burning or the fuel in the cylinder lit and made a couple of chugs - but it was freaking creepy!

He just bought the bike a few weeks ago, was having carb problems, had a shop in weatherford work on it, picked it up last weekend, today was his first ride.

·
Premium Member
8,710 Posts
Venom.. you are a fire magnet man!! :hot:

Last time I was watching your shop cam you had a brush fire across the street.. now a Harley parks in your driveway and bursts into flames... WTF!

Flammer. :thefinger:

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
That guy is lucky he wasnt sitting on the bike when it caught fire. Talk about luck in an unlucky situation.

·
Registered
6,371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
yeah when I was talking to him I said "Man that sucks, but better in my driveway than a fireball at 75MPH on the highway" and he had just opened his wallet to give ID and I saw a pic of about a 10 yr old kid and I added "or when taking him for a ride"

·
Registered
11,028 Posts
Damn, glad you were all okay and the vette didn't get scorched. Looks like the smoke and flame were getting pretty close in a couple pics.

That's an awful feeling. Years ago I had a Honda CB750F, rusty gas tank developed a leak. Anyway I patched it and eventually sold it to a friend of a friend. I warned him about the rusty tank and he said he was going to replace it.

I was driving into work a couple weeks later and at the gas station on the corner I see that guy and he's standing by my old bike in a charred pile like that. It caught on fire at the pump and he was able to push it about 30 feet away and watch it burn. :(

So did you sell him the ride so he could get home?

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Yeah. Good luck stopping fast enough to get off a flaming bike while doing 75 without getting burned. At least he could drive around and yell "FLAME ON" lol. Glad everyone was ok.

·
Registered
6,371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm pretty sure he's gonna go have a talk with the shop that worked on it last week considering this was the first ride since they rebuilt the carb.

We were kinda hoping the vette would catch and then insurance would buy it!
I'm getting a little tired of looking at it, it belongs to the chief deputy at the S.O. and he's asking a little too much so it's gonna sit for awhile longer I guess.

·
Premium Member
2,533 Posts
man what a bummer, but like said above its a good thing he wasnt riding when it caught fire.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
I'm pretty sure he's gonna go have a talk with the shop that worked on it last week considering this was the first ride since they rebuilt the carb.
I sure hope he does and I hope they do something to take care of it. This could have been A LOT worse than what it was. I'm not one to sue or anything but this guy could have a lawsuit if the shop isnt willing to do something.

·
Registered
37 Posts
That's crazy! I had a similar experience about 3 weeks ago. Coming home from work. Guy standing along side the road his bike in flames. Dumped my extinguisher on it to no avail. Got to inspect them fuel lines fellas! It almost happened to me once. Out on my '71 bonneville and, "hey my crotch feels wet". Look down and my tank is leaking gas all over me! I went for it and made it home flame free. What stop signs...

·
Premium Member
1,397 Posts
That sucks. Hey, did you ever consider moving the Vette?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.