JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, I did a search but couldn't find anything. Under "horn not working" "horn won't honk" anyway.

That's my problem everything else electrical seems to be working fine. I checked fuses, they are in tact. Horn is plugged in under hood but will not honk when pushing steering wheel. Any ideas? :eek:

Edit: It's a 2010 Sport if that matters.

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
The first and easiest thing I would do is have someone press the horn button while you listen for the faint click of the horn relay inside the TIPM.

If you hear it click, the problem is in the TIPM, or after it; fuse, bad connector, bad wire, bad horn.
If you don't hear it click, the problem is in the TIPM, or ahead of it; most likely a bad horn button, or a bad clock spring in the steering column.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the reply's. I'm not hearing a click at all. I'm guessing it's the horn button or clock spring although I'm not sure what the clock spring is. I guess I'll look that up next. Jeep hasn't been in any deep water or mud yet so I doubt that's it.

·
Registered
6,381 Posts
Funny, My horn doesn't work and I have an airbag light on. Thanks fellas

I remember hearing a clicky / grindy sound in the steering column.

ding ding ding
busted clockspring

exact same thing on mine, I picked it up from getting fixed at the dealer yesterday
thankfully the warranty covered it - 07 w 65k miles

they extended the warranty on 07s to 10yr/150k and there was a recall on 08s I think
otherwise its a pretty damn expensive part from what I understand

·
Premium Member
3,426 Posts
ding ding ding
busted clockspring

exact same thing on mine, I picked it up from getting fixed at the dealer yesterday
thankfully the warranty covered it - 07 w 65k miles

they extended the warranty on 07s to 10yr/150k and there was a recall on 08s I think
otherwise its a pretty damn expensive part from what I understand

Thanks for that piece of info. I have an 08. Gonna look into that.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Digging up old threads.. I just had my horn quit on my 2012 at 21k miles. I do not have an air bag light but the VSS light is on Just had a truss system installed and waiting on adj. track bar and control arms to show up so I can have alignment done. Any reason it would stop working because it is out of align? Can it being out of align break the clock spring? "it is out kinda bad wheel is cocked to the left a good bit"

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
If the steering wheel is way off-center it is possible to break the clockspring by over-rotating in one direction or the other.

But most people I wheel with that do mud/water have experienced dead horns due to water/mud getting inside the horn. Rinse it out well and give it a few days to a week of sun and it usually starts working again.

The problem was so common with me that I installed two additional horns, so law of averages at least one of them works all the time.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Well it has not been wet or muddy. Spent the last 4 months with top/doors on and jeep on road. Well parked actually.

·
Registered
596 Posts
Save your money on repairing the horn and just use the :flipoff:.
Put the money into something more useful.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts