JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've noticed that since the day I bought my 2014 Rubicon, there is a 1 second delay when pressing the horn button before the horn will sound. It is almost impossible to just tap the horn because it isn't pressed long enough to make the horn sound.

Anyone else notice this?

·
A JKO DICK
3,690 Posts
I've noticed that since the day I bought my 2014 Rubicon, there is a 1 second delay when pressing the horn button before the horn will sound. It is almost impossible to just tap the horn because it isn't pressed long enough to make the horn sound.

Anyone else notice this?
You've never blown your horn at me and even if you did how would I know when you pushed it, so no I've never noticed if there is a delay in your horn.

Mine has a little delay, but I never use it anyway, cuz it's useless and my bumper works better.

Now get over to random funny. There's one there just for you.

·
Banned
702 Posts
I've noticed it from the beginning. I figured it has something to do with the delay in the CAN bus.

·
Registered
355 Posts
My 2013 is the same. Annoying and not as safe IMO.

·
Premium Member
1,147 Posts
I've noticed the exact same thing on my '14 Rubicon.

In all honesty I rarely use my horn, but when I do it's almost always just a quick "toot" to give a heads up to someone that a light is green, or to get someone's attention.

On every other vehicle I've had I used to just give the horn a quick tap and it would just barely make a sound. Enough to get someone's attention without being obnoxious.

In my new Jeep it's almost impossible to do. Brief, but loud and full blast is the minimum it seems. It seemed to me to have to do with the stiffness and travel of the horn switch. Once you push it hard and far enough to actually come on, it can't re-open quickly enough. A quick tap would have to be more like a quick punch.

Not a big deal I suppose. But yes, I have noticed it too.

·
Premium Member
1,496 Posts
X however-many. Mine's a '12. Impossible to just "bump" the horn, as in to say, "Hi," or politely get someone's attention. Now that person you want to say, "Hi," to thinks you're POed. I agree that it's probably something to do with computer control, not the switch itself. Probably partnered with MicroSoft. :shitstorm: I think that might have something to do with the clocks that can't keep time too. :D

·
Registered
17 Posts
Wondering if there's any truth to some threads I've read elsewhere about aftermarket horns fixing or eliminating this issue.
Doesn't seem like an issue with the horn itself to me, so it makes no sense that replacing it would make this go away.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Wondering if there's any truth to some threads I've read elsewhere about aftermarket horns fixing or eliminating this issue.
Doesn't seem like an issue with the horn itself to me, so it makes no sense that replacing it would make this go away.
Aftermarket horns will improve the sound and db levels, but you are right, it won't fix the delay/lag that is inherent in these heeps.

Disappointing that there isn't a fix/recall for it. As an earlier poster noted, I often will want to give a light rap on the horn just to wake up the driver in front who isn't paying attention that the light has turned green, but with this horn set up, it isn't possible.

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
I've noticed the exact same thing on my '14 Rubicon.

In all honesty I rarely use my horn, but when I do it's almost always just a quick "toot" to give a heads up to someone that a light is green, or to get someone's attention.

On every other vehicle I've had I used to just give the horn a quick tap and it would just barely make a sound. Enough to get someone's attention without being obnoxious.

In my new Jeep it's almost impossible to do. Brief, but loud and full blast is the minimum it seems. It seemed to me to have to do with the stiffness and travel of the horn switch. Once you push it hard and far enough to actually come on, it can't re-open quickly enough. A quick tap would have to be more like a quick punch.

Not a big deal I suppose. But yes, I have noticed it too.
I think BigTB is correct. I have learned to compensate, and can get a quick "toot" out of it, most of the time.

↓I like this one better, though.↓

Light travels faster than sound, just use your finger:thankyou:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts