JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy!!! As I was loading feed bags in my JK today, the thought came upon me that why doesn't Jeep offer a horizontal tailgate like my Dodge 3500's? It would certainly provide for an extended surface area for cargo, and well, just a grand sitting platform on the tailgate for sipping cerveza!!!

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Precisely!!!! Just add a swing out spare tire carrier and it's a go!!! I do believe I'm going to visit a fellow in Corpus Christi who's an absolute genius in custom work such as you've shown in the pic!!! Thanks for sharing!!! :beer:

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
I want a tailgate with a power roll down window in it like a K5 blazer or a 4Runner.

YOU BUILD IT I'LL BUY IT.

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
Precisely!!!! Just add a swing out spare tire carrier and it's a go!!! I do believe I'm going to visit a fellow in Corpus Christi who's an absolute genius in custom work such as you've shown in the pic!!! Thanks for sharing!!! :beer:
Hummm..so who is this genius that you speak of???? Off of SPID....maybe at Caliber Collision Center???

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hummm..so who is this genius that you speak of???? Off of SPID....maybe at Caliber Collision Center???

Howdy!!! It's not Caliber Collision. The fellow is a retired Navy mechanical engineer (he's about 70 y/o) and works out of his shop on Kostoryz. He did some great customizing on my tuna tower that's the envy of fellow boaters. The only negatives are that he's quite selective who he does work for, and, he's a cranky old fart, but hey, he's darn good!!!:beer:

·
Registered
4,010 Posts
Howdy!!! It's not Caliber Collision. The fellow is a retired Navy mechanical engineer (he's about 70 y/o) and works out of his shop on Kostoryz. He did some great customizing on my tuna tower that's the envy of fellow boaters. The only negatives are that he's quite selective who he does work for, and, he's a cranky old fart, but hey, he's darn good!!!:beer:
Sounds like my grandfather but he is long gone, we were in that farm house at the end of Kostoryz.

·
Registered
6,381 Posts
No offense snake man, but that thing is a hatchet job lol.:beer:
none taken!
my thinking is that a 'kit' for $250 that I can do myself and works is preferable to taking it to a custom shop and paying $$$$ and waiting who knows how long for something as minor as this
I agree, something like RR's setup using real pickup hardware and real JK hinges is a much better solution
but for what a custom shop would charge to do a conversion that in depth, I'd take a long arm suspension setup instead :laughing:

Now a setup like the old station wagons where it would fold either way would be cool too!

·
Registered
132 Posts

Yet another example of how Jeeps SHOULD'VE come from the factory! And terrahawk was right on about the "hatchet job"! :thefinger:[/QUOTE]

Should flip one of the hinges, then in the off chance you might ever need to remove the tailgate, you can without unbolting anything. Just my .02.

·
Registered
4,103 Posts
Yet another example of how Jeeps SHOULD'VE come from the factory! And terrahawk was right on about the "hatchet job"! :thefinger:

Should flip one of the hinges, then in the off chance you might ever need to remove the tailgate, you can without unbolting anything. Just my .02.
If you use an actual upper and lower door hinge, there is no need to flip one. Plus if you look at a finished pic of the ST you don't even see the lower portion of the hinges.

I was going to do a removable tailgate using JK hinges on the M416 build, but the way I had framed in the area prevented me from doing so,plus I went with a uniform look vs function. Now I have to unbolt the torx screws to remove the tailgate.

Quoted from my build

Today was spent mainly finishing the interior welds of the sides to the floor and the remaining side rail.

Then while indulging in my bad habit of enjoying a smoke, I got motivated to pop these puppies on and get them set up for the tail gate that I have been avoiding due to trying to decide if I wanted a drop gate or swing gate. I gotta credit the River Raider thread for the idea for this part though I had considered using standard JK tailgate hinges and making it a swing out style.

First I set my marks at a quarter the gate opening and marked for the center of each hinge.

Next I shaved the excess metal and created a "tab" insert out of the Jeep JK hinges that I bought from a Jeep club member.

After creating the slots using a cutting wheel & the grinder, I inserted the "tabs".

1 - 17 of 17 Posts