JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
5,199 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Concerned by the very high temps under the hood, I added some Gen Right hood vents. I went with just two to start with to see how they would do, and the cross bracing on the JK's hood makes it a little more tricky to add the longer ones, although it could still easily be done.

The instructions are clear and easy to follow. Obviously, the most important thing is measuring, so follow the old adage, "Think twice, cut once".

I spent a few minutes with IR thermometer looking for hot spots on the hood, and found four; Two either side of the engine, one at the rear of the engine, and one at the front between the engine and fan. You also need to give some thought to what is under the vents in terms of water intrusion, but you are kind of limited in this regard due to the cross bracing of the hood. If you have an aftermarket air intake, do make sure you will not be exposing the filter with the vent, as when it rains it may well get wet. You also need to take account of the cross bracing, and while you could work over it if you used a die grinder just to cit through the hood, you do not want to cut through the cross bracing.

I used masking tape over the area I was working to minimize scratches, etc. After tracing the outline of the vent, I marked 1/2" in and drilled four 1/2" holes in the corners. A pilot hole followed with a step drill will reduce the potential for dimpling the sheet metal. I then used a jig saw with a fine blade to cut out the areas.

Place the vents back on and position again (Think twice, cut once), and then drill the rivet holes with a 1/8" drill bit. Remove all the masking tape, remove any rough edges and paint. The vents need a little tweaking to follow the lines of the hood, but this is pretty easy. Rivet in the hood vents with the supplied rivets and you are done.

I cut some holes in the under hood insulation and replaced it, but you just as easily leave it out.

Installation took 90 minutes.

Once the engine is up to temp there is 150-160°F air coming out of the vents. I have no real way of knowing how much cooler it is under the hood, but it is definitely cooler, and I'd say there is more air flow. You don't get hit by such a blast of hot air when opening the hood, and air intake temps have dropped by between 5-10°F on the highway.

On a wheeling trip over the weekend, I didn't see intake temps go much above 130°F, with an ambient air temp of 100-105°F. Previously they would get up to 150°F or so. This indicates to me that under hood temps are definitely cooler than before by a noticeable amount.

I haven't had a chance to see how much water intrusion there will be when it rains yet, but when I washed it there was not as much water intrusion as i would have expected. On the highway, water intrusion is unlikely to be an issue, but for those in wetter climes that leave their vehicle outside it is something to think about, although I suspect it will be minimal.

I didn't get a chance to take pics as I did the work, but here's some after shots, which give you a pretty good idea.

·
Registered
85 Posts
NICE! I put the long skinny ones on my banger today. They look awesome!

I will post pics later...:beer:

·
Registered
785 Posts
I Like the Idea:D But being that I live in Florida and its the Rainy season
(And Its ran alot) I am not to sure How it would work. This past weekend I went to trail In Okeechobee county and it was Under water. That there would worry me when your treading thru 2 Feet of water.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I Like the Idea:D But being that I live in Florida and its the Rainy season
(And Its ran alot) I am not to sure How it would work. This past weekend I went to trail In Okeechobee county and it was Under water. That there would worry me when your treading thru 2 Feet of water.
I don't understand how vents on top of the hood would be effected by 2 ft of water....our engine compartments get plenty wet when there's any type of water involved they are far from waterproof to begin with!!!! :bounce:

·
Registered
5,199 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I don't understand how vents on top of the hood would be effected by 2 ft of water...
They wouldn't really. Even if you got a bow wave over the top, I doubt it would make any significant difference to the amount of water inside the engine compartment.

·
Registered
21 Posts
how abu the pics of teh long ones... am thinkign about doing the three long kit.

·
Registered
155 Posts
:idea: "thinking" getting one cutting it in 1/2 putting on the side :confused: and due to i have a jk and the son has a jk it would be a 2 for 1 deal :D i have seen a hood that has something like that but it has mesh screening i think it is for the hemi

·
Administrator
8,731 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
That old addage is and I quote " Measure twice and cut once".

·
Registered
34 Posts
Do you guys happen to know if the longer, thinner louvers from Gen-Right will fit without cutting the bracing under the hood? I want to add a set but don't want to cut up the braces.

Thanks
Ron

·
Registered
5,199 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Do you guys happen to know if the longer, thinner louvers from Gen-Right will fit without cutting the bracing under the hood? I want to add a set but don't want to cut up the braces.
I went through the exercise once and yes you can get the longer ones to work. Best thing to do is get a tape measure out, or better yet make a cardboard template and plan them out first.

A

·
0 Posts
I manage to do that often too :D :D :D
I’ve ruined a few good parts trying to modify them. Running a ¾” drill bit through the center stack plastic instead of a step drill bit comes to mind :shaking::bawling:

·
Registered
93 Posts
Can anyone Photo Shop what a black 4 door would look like with SIDE vents similar to these? Might be more functional considering it rains everyday where I live. Thanks in advance

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Looks good Phil!

I was actually thinking about the 3pc set up.
But the monsoon season in the deep south has me a lil iffy.

Keep us updated on the the amount of water infiltration you
get during heavy rains

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
I have been looking in to this for some time, I think it looks good, does any one know if their is any problems with this in the winter? it gets very cold here in Omaha, and very hot to. just wanting to know if it would be worth my time or not. Thanks guys.

·
Registered
5,199 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Keep us updated on the the amount of water infiltration you get during heavy rains
We don't get much rain here, but I was out in a big down pour the other week and there was minimal water in the engine bay below the vents. Usually when it rains I see none.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts