JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would love to take the credit for this idea, but it was a member of my local Jeep club that introduced it to me.

[/URL]
11" Cable Tie

[/URL]

[/URL]

I found that 2 clicks of the Cable Tie was enough. This makes the latches very tight to latch the hood, but this means it's not going to bounce any more.

·
Gunnery Sergeant USMC (ret)
22,098 Posts

·
Random Dude
3,042 Posts
I would love to take the credit for this idea, but it was a member of my local Jeep club that introduced it to me.

I found that 2 clicks of the Cable Tie was enough. This makes the latches very tight to latch the hood, but this means it's not going to bounce any more.
I've been running single zip ties on mine for years, never considered the "dually" option. I dig it! :beer:

EDIT: here's my writeup to add info. to yours:
I had a zip tie break right before my summer vacation, so I took a few pics to fully explain the cheap ass’s remedy to hood flutter.
I'm guessing someone has written this up somewhere, but I'm assuming this will help someone, so here goes . . .

Here’s the zip tie that broke (probably about a year old = acceptable lifespan by my reasoning) laid next to the hood latch to show how it is routed.

Notice also the 2 bends on the tail of the new zip tie – just fold over and pinch – this makes the next steps much easier.

Feed zip tie tail between latch handle and rubber link . . .

Wiggle shit around, pull some through, and shove the curved tail down between the rubber link and the mounting base, then rotate the latch upward . . .

Wiggle shit around, pull some through, and get it to where the latch of the zip tie ends up at the bottom of the rubber link when hood latch is latched.
Then latch the hood latch and zip the zip tie.

Flush-cutting dykes will leave no sharp plastic nasties to cut you open . . .

. . . especially if you don’t hold them crooked like the eediot taking this picture. :D
you can also just remove the spring on the hood takes care of the problem also.
I did that, but brutal wind gusts (bridge crossings) still made the hood unruly at times.

And you can get under your hood without having to cut zip ties.
No need to cut zip ties to open hood - this just makes the elastomer links act more solid.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes the hood spring can be removed, but I like the Zip Tie method.

ExWrench, thanks for sharing mate.

·
JKO Dickhead
3,522 Posts
2007 called....

·
Registered
11,065 Posts
Glad it worked out out for you. The zip tie method is clean and cheap. One of my first "mods" after a cross country trip fearing the hood would blow off when the jeep was two months old:

Remove hood spring and add $20 rugged ridge hood lock.

200k and 8 1/2 years later it's time to change the hood lock but still flutter free.

2007 called....
Hahaha.

Hey lighten up. It's all in good fun.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts