I am reposting this here... i have put this up on other forums, but not everyone is a multi-forum surfer.
as of now, i have had no issues with it. i am still using the exact setup as pictured. two zipties ran through the tube and wrapped around the upper core support. No issues. probably not an option for those with the stainless or mech grill inserts... but at least you can get your creative juices flowing with this.Ok. I pulled the grill off this morning.
I pulled some measurements as well. As it turns out, I have had a few sticks of powder coated 1/2" diameter square tubing from a Con-Ferr rack I installed on my ZJ... didnt need the floor kit.
Anyway. With the hood latched tight, there is right at 1/2" between the latch and the bottom of the upper radiator support. Soooo... with 2" of the 1/2" tubing in hand, about 2.15" poly tubing and two zipties....
No road test just yet... but I dont see why. there is no room for lifting.
As for durability, I ran some urethane vacuum tubing through the tube to prevent chafing of the zipties. This is a temprary test.. i am ofcourse hesitant to hack or drill on my JK.
Keep the pressure on DCX for a Manufacturer fix... but in the meantime, I got mine... and it cost me... I dunno... $.02 considering all this stuff has been laying around.
The way this works, guys, it fits snug. After releasing the hood bungies, I only have to give a slight press down on the front of the hood to relieve tension from the hood spring. Then I reach up in the center slat right under "JEEP" and slip the latch over and it pops up like normal.
You guys can come up with whatever ideas you want, but instead of fuming and worrying... I made mine.