JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just venting...

So I'll ask the question, as it boggles my mind. Having owned Jeeps from the 70's till now, I accepted the fact that anyone could just open the unsecured hood and take what they wanted. I had manual windows, no factory key fobs that locked my doors, heck most never had real doors!

Now owning a 2012 with all the goodies, I can't help but wonder why when I set my factory alarm it only secures the 4 doors and rear tailgate. Having remote start, I stare at the pin switch that shuts my Jeep down if the hood has been opened during remote start but does nothing else. The funny thing is, there is even another empty spot for another pin switch!

So Jeep thought, order the alarm, set the alarm, thief comes along, opens factory unsecured hood, removes battery and they can do whatever they want!

·
Registered
596 Posts
I believe the other pin slot is supposed to go to the theft-deterrent grenade you install after you buy the JK. :thefinger:
Yes, it boggles the mind why Jeep did not bother to alarm the hood. After all the trouble they went through to create electric door locks and windows, and remote start, they couldn't think more into the alarm?

·
Registered
578 Posts
Or better yet, install the same release mechanism that is in every other vehicle on the market... an internal lever that releases the hood. Hell, they could have kept the external latches but added an internal release lever to 'unlock' the hood.

On a side note, I had a local Car Toys install an after market alarm with pin switches on every vehicle entry point; the hood, the doors and the rear gate. It works quite well.

·
Registered
689 Posts
A hood alarm is a good idea and really should be installed with the factory alarm. However, in order to get more money from you, Chrysler sells a hood lock...

·
Registered
2,721 Posts
I tied the hood pin switch to my drivers door trigger, took maybe 30 minutes. Now if someone opens the hood the alarm thinks the door is opened and the alarm goes off.

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
I've got the Mopar hood lock. it will key ip to your ignition key, saves having another key.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,721 Posts
Yup.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts