JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Long time reader, first time poster here. Thought I would post up my most recent JK project!

After looking at all the expensive bumper options out there, I decided to build my own.

Most of it is out of 1/4" steel with the front/bottom plates made out of 3/16". Modeled it all in SolidWorks first to make construction go that much smoother. Construction was done with a plasma cutter and MIG welder. Even managed to preserve the stock fog lights and rewire them.

Painted with Duplicolor Bed Liner.

Thoughts/suggestions always appreciated!

Attachments

·
Registered
21 Posts
Looks good. In the first and second picture there is a foot wide cut out.. what was that for? Did you brace those fairlead mounts with anything?

I'm just getting into fabrication and would love to do this eventually. I just have a little 125 wirefeed, but i think it could handle 3/16. Anything you would have done different?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks!

Thanks guys, the food-wide cutout was put in there for access to the internal portion of the bumper. This helped me mount up the fog lights much easier and also cleared some room for the winch mounting bolts.

I'm going to test the winch out this weekend on a camping trip, so if I rip my bumper off, then I can definitely tell you there I'd do something differently! :)

Other than that, I'm pretty happy with it. Maybe would have liked to make it a little shallower? But that would have been pretty difficult to do if I wanted to hide the mounting bolts as well as keep the fog lights in the design.

Cheers!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts