JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is a temporary hack from the stock bumper parts until I get a winch bumper.

A friend and I built two of these in 4 hours.

First we put all the plastic in the trash where it belongs. Then we cut the crush cans off the metal part of bumper and cut a few inches off each end. In this pic we had already welded some 1/16" end caps on them.

Next we welded 1/16” from that back to cover the holes from the fog light etc.

After drilling holes for the stock tow hooks and a little rattle can work I had a free stubby :D

Two hacked free stubbies :D:D

·
Registered
85 Posts
Those look pretty cool. Makes me wish I could weld.

Rough Country makes a winch plate that bolts onto the same mount points that the tow hooks do.

http://www.roughcountry.com/winch_mounts_jk.html

That looks like it may work pretty well with your stubbies.

They also have D-ring mounts that work with their winch plate.

·
Broker by the Minute
3,825 Posts
Good static flex.

Might want to work on those fenders as the dynamic flex may make those self removing. :grinpimp:

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Might want to work on those fenders as the dynamic flex may make those self removing. :grinpimp:
As soon as the wife reallocates some money to the Jeep account I’ll put some tube fenders on it.

Unfortunately she put her foot down so it’s not happening as soon as I’d like. What is it with women? I mean, it’s obviously more important to have tube fenders on the Jeep than new curtains in the living room, they just don’t get it :shaking:

·
Registered
5,199 Posts
Unfortunately she put her foot down so it’s not happening as soon as I’d like. What is it with women? I mean, it’s obviously more important to have tube fenders on the Jeep than new curtains in the living room, they just don’t get it :shaking:
I think you need to emphasize the safety factor of steel fenders ;)

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Any pics of the rear of these bumpers?
Is this what you are looking for? We just used the stock plastic part cover the gap. Again this is a temp mod, I just hated the stock bumper enough to cut it up ;)

·
Registered
2 Posts
When you have the funds reallocated to get a new bumper, let me know, I will gladly take this one off your hands for some cash. Ya'll did an awesome job.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Alec,
You know this thread just isn't right without a solo silver in it. :D

·
Registered
173 Posts
When my new Shrockworks stubby comes in, I may donate this one to Jeep Hall of Fame. :D That's gotta be a record, Alec, for the sweetest 2 bumpers made in four hours! I still like 'em.

Funny, story.... A buddy of mine at work knew I was getting a new JK and lifting it immediately. The same weekend I did the lift he had emailed me a bunch of girly photos of Jeeps with stock bumpers. He even mentioned that I wouldn't be a 'real man' until I got some real bumpers. He was PWNED when I showed on Monday and showed him those photos. :D :D :D

·
Registered
900 Posts
That looks really good! I was thinking of doing something similar myself. How thick is that stock sheetmetal under-bumper?

·
Registered
173 Posts
Anyone have the measurements of the end plates?
We didn't take any measurements. We just stood the bumpers on end and traced the outline on some scrap 1/16th peices I had. We cut them out, welded 'em on, and ground off the edges. Pretty simple. We really weren't that precise. Just eyeballed everything.

·
Registered
900 Posts
Ever think of going into business? :idea: I'll send you mine and some cash.......

Might be a viable alternative for those of us with a fiscally conservative CEO (wife). :rolleyes:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts