JKOwners Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Two of my factory tie-down points got used to bolt down my false floor, so I decided to install 4 stronger, removable tie-downs.

Most of the parts I had lying around for years, including the rings. Similar items can be purchased at Lowe's, or Home Depot. It would not be too expensive.
If you don't want to make these yourself, there are tie-downs on the market that are similar to these. There were a few things I didn't like about them, though.

Anyway, here is how I did it. Take what you can use from it if you want removable tie-downs in the back of your Jeep.

Drilling the all-thread rod.

Cutting the nuts in half. (I didn't feel a thing.)

The three main pieces.

Tapping the all-thread for the tie-down ring.

Pieced together. edit: I didn't use a bolt because I couldn't find a 3/4" bolt that was threaded all the way to the head.
I tried to thread one, but soon realized I need more practice at threading up to a shoulder.

Ready for installation.

Installed.

View inside the body well. The 3/4" hole in the body well is protected by silicone. The nut is locked on with red loctite.

This is the tie-down ring. The threaded portion is welded onto the ring base.

Everything in place. The rings are removable. They pivot, and swivel.

·
Official Monkey Business
12,215 Posts
That is very cool. Nice work.

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i like the finished product... but i'm curious as to why you didnt drill and tap a bolt. Was it the heat treating/harness?

regardless, nice results.
I wanted to use a bolt, but...
I couldn't find a 3/4" bolt that was threaded all the way to the head. I tried to thread one, but soon realized threading up to a shoulder is something I need more practice at.

I would have had to turn a bolt head down to a lower profile, anyway.

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Update on tying stuff down in the back...
When I installed the tie-down rings, I was imagining something like this.

I bought a Safari Straps Cargo Net for the back of the Jeep. This is a quality net. The rings and buckles are all metal, and the perimeter of the net is double strapped.

A couple pictures, loaded up and ready for some work in the field.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts