JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I just bought this Jeep Wrangler Unlimited and driving down the highway, the hood was flopping all over the place. I love the look of the Drake Hood Hold Downs, but not the cash they want for those things. I decided to make my own. Went to Ace Hardware and purchased about $35 worth of stainless steel components and some nylon bushings and bingo - NO MORE HOOD FLOPPING. I am happy to make them for you ($50) if that is not your thing, but it is not a difficult upgrade. Just piece the components, cut the ends off a couple eyelet bolts, and add the nylon bushings so it doesn't rattle. I used the factory hood latch and 5/16" bolts (had to bore out the holes just a tiny bit). Fits like a glove and looks rugged.

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sorry, didn't realize the pics were too large for the upload limits. New photos added.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Parts List:

Parts list:
Stainless Steel items
4 - 5/16-18 eye bolts with nuts.
2 - 5/16 turnbuckles.
4 - 5/16 by 2" bolts (2 1/4" would probably work a little better, but stick out a little).
4 - 5/16 stop nuts (locknuts).
8 - 5/16 washers.

Nylon components - you can't see the sleeves on the inside, but they cover the bolt, then the larger washers go between the eye bolt and the plastic components).
4 - 12mm outside dim 3/4" nylon sleeves (they didn't have black in the 5/16).
8 - 12.8mm inside dim 1/4" nylon washers (they didn't have these either, so I just cut a longer one to be 1/4" with a hack saw).

Only other thing I had to do is to bore out the original holes just a tiny bit with a 5/16" drill bit. Otherwise just replaced the crappy plastic connections with 5/16" x 2" bolts and the flexible rubber thing with the eye bolts and turnbuckle. I did have to cut the bolts so the turnbuckle set up would work properly. I cut one end longer to work better with the top piece that attaches to the actual hood.

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
Parts list:

Nylon components - you can't see the sleeves on the inside, but they cover the bolt, then the larger washers go between the eye bolt and the plastic components).
4 - 12mm outside dim 3/4" nylon sleeves (they didn't have black in the 5/16).
3/8" ?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
3/8" would have worked. I really wanted the nylon sleeve to cover all of the bolt inside the plastic components (3/4") with the support on the sides going outside the bolt sleeve. They didn't have anything else in black (they did have white).

1 - 8 of 8 Posts