JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As anyone made steel mesh etc to place behind the grill?? Did use search and nothing found.
If any response, how did you attach?

·
Registered
2,012 Posts
I used metal gutter sheilds from Home Depot, and attached with 3M squares and wire ties. Sprayed the gutter sheilds with Duplicolor Spray on Bedliner.

Anthony

·
Registered
15 Posts
Just finished making mine

I used stainless mesh I bought from McMasters. Cut into 7 panels and made a jig (like a press) that made each panel 3 dimensional to fit the openings. Will install using the wire tie tabs. Took a couple hours to make the jig, a couple hours to cut panels and clamp in press (one at a time), but well worth it. Never seen inserts done like this. Would post pics but don't know how.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Pretty much the same as the guys above mentioned....it was actually the first mod I did on the JK.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Same HD method used here. As mentioned above, that was my first mod to my ride too. Only suggestion . If using the 3m squares. Take the adhesive stuff off, and apply gorilla glue instead.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
20 Posts
grill mash

I cut a piece of gutter aluminum metal 15" x 28". Primed and painted satin black and then notched out around the retaining clips for the grill, I used self adhesive zip tie blocks and trimmed them to fit between the grill slots. I used 3 on each slot of the grill and 3 on each end, all of them evenly spaced and used black zip ties to secure the grill insert in place.
All the materials came to around $25 or less.

Attachments

·
Registered
752 Posts
I cut a piece of gutter aluminum metal 15" x 28". Primed and painted satin black and then notched out around the retaining clips for the grill, I used self adhesive zip tie blocks and trimmed them to fit between the grill slots. I used 3 on each slot of the grill and 3 on each end, all of them evenly spaced and used black zip ties to secure the grill insert in place.
That look awesome. I will be doing that...............:smokin:

·
Registered
3,222 Posts
I have found that I don't have problems when using one large sheet like in the pictures above. I have also tried it with individual slots and I always had one come loose after a few months.

I use Gorilla glue on my adhesive backs, but in Texas the heat is killer.

I have a trans cooler behind there also so this is a mod for protection as well as good looks.

Still holding after 2 years

·
Registered
3,222 Posts
How much of a PITA is it to take off the grill, and did you paint yours or wrap it in vinyl?
Grill is easy to get off a stock Jeep. Some screws in the top and disconnect the turn signals and just clips at the bottom. My winch is very close so it's awful now. My grill is sanded then Duplicolor bedlined.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Where did you find this particular grill screen?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts