JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally finished my quickie homemade bumper......which turned out to be not so quick. :)

Alec and I made the bumpers last weekend (hopefully he'll post some pics of the build). This weekend I added a few things like a high-lift mount and some shackle tabs.

I was orginally going to get that Shrockworks stubby front. I had it on order for 8 weeks. I called and was given some B.S. about having trouble with their laser cutter shop and that it would still be another 4 weeks away.. So, after making this one I'm going to stick with it for a while. I canceled my order.

A

·
0 Posts
I’m really happy with how these worked out but think we need some more protection where the electric disco is.

The D-Rings and Hi-lift mount came out great. I’ll have to head up and borrow the welder ;)

I failed to get many pics while we made them but here’s a couple.

·
Registered
900 Posts
Nice work! I always like home made solutions. Sure wish I owned metal working equipment. :bawling: I own every carpenters tool on the planet but they don't do me much good for working on the Jeep. :D

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
Nice work! I always like home made solutions. Sure wish I owned metal working equipment. :bawling: I own every carpenters tool on the planet but they don't do me much good for working on the Jeep. :D
I hear that!
BUT have you seen the wooden rock doors yet?

·
Registered
900 Posts
I hear that!
BUT have you seen the wooden rock doors yet?
I saw those. Wouldn't put them on my Jeep, but you've got to give the guy credit for having the balls to post that write-up over there. As I recall, he got gang raped! :D

·
Registered
176 Posts
looks good how wide did you go i have the steel on order to build mine. it will be simmaler to yours but with a stinger.

·
Registered
176 Posts
cool, looks good. ill post some pic when i am done

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Very nice ! I especially like the high lift mount. :beer:
I wasn't sure about the high lift mount beign on the front, but I've decided that I really like it.

I welded in nuts into it, so I just take a 1" inch bolt and screw in right down into the mount. Super simple to take on/off.

Now......it's time for Moab. I'm leaving in 14hours, 56 minutes. :smokin:

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
did you start out with 2 x 6 (3/16ths) tube stock?
Almost. Used 2x5 rectangular tubing, 3/16th. If i did it again I'd have used 2x6.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Looks good. Are you going to mount some lights cause it looks like your hi-lift took up that space. Can't wait to build my tire carrier. Hope it turns out as good as yours :thefinger:

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Looks good. Are you going to mount some lights cause it looks like your hi-lift took up that space. Can't wait to build my tire carrier. Hope it turns out as good as yours :thefinger:
There is room to add lights - between the highlift and the grill - mounted high enough to beam above the highlift.

I'm going to work on my tire carrier next. I have ordered a Shrockworks bumper and I'm in the first group of ones to be shipped at the end of this month. I'm adding my own carrier to it.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Nice, I was planning on building my own bumper too. This is a great design man. How much did you spend on materials?

A

·
0 Posts
Steel was about $60 and the D-ring mounts cost about $30 for a pair. With paint and supplies I’d say about $100 give or take.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I played around some today and added some 1/8" steel to finish off the side. Also, added some tabs and mounted my PIAA 520s (from Phil at Trailduty.com - Thanks Phil).

Crappy pics, from a camera phone.

·
Registered
749 Posts
Like it a whole lot, a no non-sense approach, flat blunt look(Clean), perfect size, & Lights/Highlift looks like it's part of the Stubby.. Fancy Bumpers turn me completly off.......Great Job & Economical >>>> & looks as good as the Big Boys production Bumpers.:beer::beer::beer:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts