JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6,233 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so I ran the speaker wires for my surround through the walls, but just realized that there's no way to tell which is positive and negative. How do I decipher?

What will happen if I just run a speaker and it happens to be backward? IIRC, it should still play, but it'll be out of phase, right?

Will that damage anything? Will I be able to tell a noticeable difference if I switch the wires back and forth?

·
R.I.P. Mr. Nibbles!
8,956 Posts
Usually even shitty cable has a shape difference in the jacket. I.e; one side is round and the other side is ribbed. If not, a 9v or AA battery can help you along with a DMM... It will not hurt anything to be out of phase, just sounds like shit...

·
Registered
6,233 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Usually even shitty cable has a shape difference in the jacket. I.e; one side is round and the other side is ribbed. If not, a 9v or AA battery can help you along with a DMM... It will not hurt anything to be out of phase, just sounds like shit...
DMM?

·
Registered
451 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Ok, so I ran the speaker wires for my surround through the walls, but just realized that there's no way to tell which is positive and negative. How do I decipher?

What will happen if I just run a speaker and it happens to be backward? IIRC, it should still play, but it'll be out of phase, right?

Will that damage anything? Will I be able to tell a noticeable difference if I switch the wires back and forth?
Technically the speakers will be out of phase. Not the end of the world but, try and see if you can figure which side is which by looking for ribs or a colored line on the jacket.

I am an Audio Engineer so feel free to send me a PM if you have any other questions.

-Phil

·
R.I.P. Mr. Nibbles!
8,956 Posts
"Wire" one end to the battery and check the other end w ur meter:beer:

Is this thing on?
Thank you.

Yep. You can use the polarity value on the meter to determine which wire is which. :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts