JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just finished my tire carrier this weekend. It took a while because I've been really busy with work, traveling, and vacation.

Here she is, via some crappy camera phone pics.

It turned out pretty well. I used 3/16" tubing all around. 2x3 for the swing arm, and the rest is 2x2. I used a beefy 1-3/8" hinge from Nates4x4 and a McMaster locking latch. It is mounted on my Shrockworks bumper. I also put on a couple of stops on the rear door to prevent vibration/movement. It's pretty solid and doesn't move a bit when I'm driving around. I think it weighs about 70lbs, but that is just a guess. I psyched!

·
Registered
962 Posts
Excellent work there. Good solid design, I likey:bounce::bounce:

A

·
0 Posts
I still think you need another 25 gussets to hold the wheel on :thefinger:

It looks good now it's painted too :beer:

A

·
0 Posts
Nice welds, looks professional.

I think CO’s welding is up there with pros, it’s not that easy, and I suck at it. I used the same welder to add some extra protection to my rear control arm/shock mounts and can’t even get close.

·
Registered
712 Posts
That's pretty darned clean - it looks just like something from a vendor. A good vendor that is. =)

I like it!

!c

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks Guys.

I'm far, far from a pro. All I have to do is watch my buddy who does that for living lay a couple of beads. But it's an awesome hobby. I loved.

LOL Alec. Yah, I think a just a wee bit overboard on the supports fo the wheel.

·
Registered
785 Posts
Very Nice,alot Nicer than some of the Store Bought ones.

I wish I could weld:shaking:
Ive actually been thinking of Learning ;)

·
Registered
962 Posts
Very Nice,alot Nicer than some of the Store Bought ones.

I wish I could weld:shaking:
Ive actually been thinking of Learning ;)
You should pursue it. I've been welding and fabricating for 25 years, it can be very rewarding. There's things I can go see here in town and say "I built that".
I don't weld anymore for a living, but it's a skill that will always be in demand that I can fall back on if need be.

·
Registered
962 Posts
LOL Alec. Yah, I think a just a wee bit overboard on the supports fo the wheel.
Not at all;) I'd much rather err on the side of safety with something that holds a heavy wheel/tire combo out of traffic. Great job:beer:

·
Registered
5,199 Posts
I like the setup, but I wouldn't say nice welds. Looks like someone stuck some bubble gum on there
Sure it is not a row of dimes, but looks plenty strong enough and neat enough. If you want to see some ugly welding you should see mine :D

1 - 20 of 27 Posts