JKOwners Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I had a few days off work and was looking for something to mess around with in the garage. I've been looking for a place to mount some switches for when I start adding various accessories (yes I know the spod is great but it isn't what I'm looking for).

Anyway, I had a spare dash panel that I had picked up so I threw together a panel. I still needs a lot of work and I may or may not even use it but I figured I would post it up to give others ideas for ways to do similar projects.

Yes, the pictures suck, I'm no photographer by any means.

Here's what I started with.

Drilled some holes for switches to mount in.

Propped the panel up and super glued in it place where I wanted it.

The stretched a pair of pantyhose over it and pulled it tight around the bottom to pull out the fold, wrinkles, etc. If my wife was fat I could have stretched it enough to get that seam on the bottom (seams = more sanding later) Zip tie it all up to keep it pulled tight.

Lay down a few coats of fiberglass resin on the pantyhose to make the shell

Sand, add some body filler, sand some more, and primer to see how messed up it is.

Do that again.

Decide two times is enough and paint it to see how bad it is

It's certainly not great but it isn't too bad for about three hours of work when I haven't done this stuff in over ten years (used to do a lot of custom fiberglass for stereo installs). The front isn't symmetrical but it's fairly close.

Not sure what I'm gonna do with it at this point but I figured this might spark some cool ideas in somebody's head.

·
Official Monkey Business
12,215 Posts
Creative! Post pics of it installed when you get it put in.

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
Nice... gets some pics up after install too. :beer:

·
Premium Member
709 Posts
Love it.
Do you have a Thread on the 110v panel? I'd like to do something like that.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Shit, that's cool. Looks like a space shuttle.:trooper:
What did you do with the compass thingy that usually mounts under that panel?
I didn't do anything with the compass module because I wasn't sure if I would even like it or not. And...I don't. Looks like it belongs in the Batmobile instead of a Jeep. Think I'm gonna take it ll back apart and start over with a more square design and include a pressure gauge for OBA and winch controls.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.