JKOwners Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
5,646 Posts
i don't, but my wifes old coworker did this and was really into it. He would make some great stuff.

Apparently there are some "clubs" you can join to get into.

It was kinda funny though pouring beer out of a coke 2 liter bottle at a college football game.

G

·
I’ve good all the stuff and was thinking about getting back into it. Home brew is no cheaper when I make it but the beer is awesome if you do it right.

·
Registered
911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Actually it comes out to 40 cents a beer when you do it right... I am going to go with a tap cornelius keg system.. Keep like 4 different beers on tap at all times.. Make 5 gallon batches and keg it... Use a CO2 system and crappy old fridge.. Easy.. I found this site for cheap brewing kits... The master kit comes with a kegging setup and CO2 for 319

http://www.midwestsupplies.com/products/ProdBySubCat.aspx?SubCat=11166&fd=1

and you can get kegs cheap... I checked craigslist and they are on there too with CO2's included.. for 150

http://www.homebrewers.com/product/BL003-5?meta=FRG&utm_source=GBASE&utm_medium=CPC&utm_content=&utm_campaign=

·
Registered
911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
PM me with the address for the taste test.
Haha... Yeah I will have to bring samples to the next gathering!! :)

Got my kit... Here is the basic recipe I am going to use... Think I am going to do a full boil and Dry Hop in the fermenter! :beer::beer: Any suggestions?? LOL

I bought a basic IPA recipe with the following

* .5lb Briess Caramel 30L
* 7.25 lbs Golden light Liquid
* 4oz Cascade Pellet Hops
* US-05 dried yeast
* 5oz primer
* Grain Bag

·
Registered
911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Not a home brewer but in the Craft Beer business - There is more than likely a home brewers club in your area.

Have you checked the price of Malt and Hops?

How many IBU's in your IPA?
This is the BeerSmith estimate... Going to buy some more ingredients today, let you know the prices! Gotta do some job searching, got the notice I will no longer have a job in 30 days!! At least being a Chiropractor I think I have a good chance of landing something quickly!

Amount Item Type % or IBU
9.00 lb Amber Liquid Extract (12.5 SRM) Extract 94.74 %
0.50 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 30L (30.0 SRM) Grain 5.26 %
0.99 oz Cascade [5.50 %] (60 min) Hops 16.7 IBU
2.00 oz Amarillo Gold [8.50 %] (Dry Hop 3 days) Hops -
1.98 oz Cascade [5.50 %] (20 min) Hops 20.2 IBU
0.99 oz Cascade [5.50 %] (5 min) Hops 3.3 IBU
1 Pkgs Safale US-05 Yeast-Ale

Beer Profile

Est Original Gravity: 1.065 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.019 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 6.06 % Actual Alcohol by Vol: 0.65 %
Bitterness: 40.3 IBU

·
Registered
911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
It's super easy! I just transferred it to the secondary fermenter and dry hopped it with some fresh Amarillo!! I tasted the beer and even though its not carbonated or aged it was AWESOME if you like an imperial IPA. I tested the alcohol level and were at 6.5%+ :beer:

·
Registered
909 Posts
I looked into making my own brew once, kept following links on different websites and ended up at Sam Adams. Now I'm hooked on their specialtybrews. Not as good as some small independents I've tried, but easier to get.

thanks for the thread, now I'm thirsty.:thefinger:

·
Registered
2,803 Posts
Thread resurrection.......ahhhhhh ahhhha ahhhhhh

Was thinking of giving it a go...any new tech or places/things to know/buy out there?

:beer:

·
Registered
1,825 Posts
Not a lot of changes that I'm aware of. The basic starter kit is pretty much the same as it was years ago when I started.

I started bottling, but moved on to kegs after about 4 years- so much easier!

I would stay away from plastic carboys (get glass), and if you can get a 6 gal one instead of the 5 gal. I don't use my 5 gal much anymore unless I do a secondary fermentation.

Give it a go - its all trial and ale!

·
Registered
2,803 Posts
Ha ha ha I see what you did there....ale

·
Registered
2,803 Posts
whould it be wise (for a noob) to start with a 1gal kit or just go for the 5/6 gal ones

·
Registered
1,825 Posts
I would refrain from the 1 gal kits, mr. beer, etc. and get the larger kit. A standard batch is 5 gal or 2 cases of bottles. The upfront cost will be a little greater but I think you'd regret going on the small scale. Most of the beer kits come in a 5 gal kit with everything you need.

At a min you need:
3-4 gal brew pot (or bigger if you have one) you may have a pot large enough in your kitchen already
Stainless spoon for stirring
5-6 gal carboy (or two plastic buckets- but you'll eventually move to a carboy)
6-7 gal plastic bucket
siphon (rack, hose and bottle filler)
air locks
bottles, caps, capper
meat thermometer/ floating thermometer
brushes
sanitizer/iodine

Things that help:
hydrometer (to measure alcohol vol.)
test glass
wort chiller

Here is a great starter kit for about $80:
http://www.northernbrewer.com/shop/...arter-kits/essential-brewing-starter-kit.html

I prefer carboys to the buckets but I have friends that have used nothing but buckets.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.