JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ok...so I’m being lazy. Well, was trying to be. I got an RK set up that came with all LCAs and coils. Installed the coils. Ran out of time that day. To expedite finishing it, thought I’d ask some local shops. All were near the same. Can someone tell me why book hours calls for about 6 hours to R&R the four LCAs?!! That’s not even including the alignment and with them already being adjusted and jam nuts torqued. Truly curious. Looks like i still need to set some time aside to do it myself. That’s absurd.

·
Registered
959 Posts
That's strange... changing out lower control arms is trivial, even using hand tools and my crude skill set at vehicle work I could change four control arms in about 2-3 hours and I'm usually several times slower than a professional shop at any task. You literally just take out the two bolts, pop it out, and put in the new one. I would have expected about 1 hour shop time. If you want to go crazy with alignment you could spend some extra time but I'd expect them to just set them to the same length as the old ones unless instructed otherwise.

·
Gunnery Sergeant USMC (ret)
22,098 Posts
They are not looking at the fact that they are already adjusted they are just looking at the fact of doing the whole job. What if they feel after they get them installed that they need to be adjusted? If they quoted you 2 hours and then said well they needed to be adjusted and now the bill is for 6 hours would you not be pissed off?

·
Registered
3,032 Posts
6 hours is probably out of the Chilton guide with added options.

It would be interesting to know what the repair time is in Chrysler/Mopar flat rate guides. The number in the factory book is probably closer to reality and is what the factory pays out to the dealers on warranty repairs. Factory also pays the dealer at a lower labor rate than you do in this case.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts