JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took the path least taken on the way home last night. I went on this trail (power line) 100 times. I hit something real hard on the left front tire. My steering wheel is now cocked 30 deg off center. Got home, had a flat, put the spare on, wheel is still cocked. I can't find anything that's bent. Jeep drives straight, but wheel is turned. Odd.

This happened before after wheeling, just not as sever. I adjusted the drag link and fixed the problem last time so I'll try it again when I get home.

Question is, what happens that lets the wheel get turned like this? Bent pitman arm is all I can think of.

·
Premium Member
5,705 Posts
Prob the drag link or adjuster. Also measure toe in. A bent tie rod can wear your tires unevenly.

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
Which way is the steering wheel cocked when the wheels are straight ahead?

I have seen lots of posts on this same subject. People look for bent parts, and, finding nothing bent, adjust the drag link to bring the steering wheel back to center.
A couple things that come to mind are: a twisted steering box shaft, or the drag link adjustment has skipped over a few threads.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I believe it's to the right. Hit the right tire. Did some googling. People say the track bar shifting in the bushings, drag link. @ronjenx you idea of the twisted steering shaft....possibly.

Seems like this happens alot to JK's but nobody has a definitive answer.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts