JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Vendor
1,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is a video of one of the recoveries we did over Christmas week. This was a relatively simple high-center. This was not staged, but we used the footage to show the decision-making process of it, to, hopefully, give some pointers to folks who haven't had to deal with it--yet! ;).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=33aypiPxXvs

We are holding a Recovery Clinic this Sunday 1/22/12 at Table Mesa to cover topics like this and much more. Check out www.BarlowJeepSchool.com , our Facebook page, or the thread: http://www.jkowners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=66735

Happy trails!

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
Nice

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Coonasian
1,835 Posts
I love your videos! Thanks! :)

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
Nice video. But I don't understand why you blocked-off the obstacle for others. Not only does it ruin the fun but it violates trail etiquette and tread lightly tenants. Was this on your private land?

Personally, I'd be really pissed if I went off-roading and found someone blocked off every obstacle just because a stock Rubi got a little stuck. In a few months that driver is going to be back with bigger tires and a lift and will be denied the satisfaction of succeeding where he previously failed. As for other "small" rigs, drivers need to learn the limits of their vehicles and how to choose lines they can handle.

Getting stuck is part of the learning process, which is why one should never wheel alone.

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
^i gotta agree with this.

simply because a stock level vehicle gets stuck doesnt mean the person in the stock vehicle should dictate what the rest of offroaders should do. if they get stuck then they get the opportunity to do a recovery like you guys did.

that said, very nice vid on recovery.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Nice video. But I don't understand why you blocked-off the obstacle for others. Not only does it ruin the fun but it violates trail etiquette and tread lightly tenants. Was this on your private land?

Personally, I'd be really pissed if I went off-roading and found someone blocked off every obstacle just because a stock Rubi got a little stuck. In a few months that driver is going to be back with bigger tires and a lift and will be denied the satisfaction of succeeding where he previously failed. As for other "small" rigs, drivers need to learn the limits of their vehicles and how to choose lines they can handle.

Getting stuck is part of the learning process, which is why one should never wheel alone.

Agreed wholeheartedly!

·
Vendor
1,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Something akin to that question was asked on another forum. I am a TreadLightly trainer, so I am actually glad that this came up. Typically, all we do after a recovery is clean up any spills and/or remove any rocks that were stacked for recovery purposes. I didn't explain in the video that this particular trail is under commercial permit and is required to be kept to a somewhat strict state of "safety" as it is a very popular "starter" trail for 4x4's, ATV's, etc. in the area. Partly, it was a safety issue, and partly, it is a Tread Lightly issue. Where this Jeep (and several other vehicles recently) became stuck has been blocked off for some time, but a recent rock fall there allowed vehicles to drive off that side of the trail. I was simply repairing and marking the trail to conform with current management thereof.

·
Official Monkey Business
12,215 Posts
Another great video!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts