JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
5,199 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I installed some of the HIDX 4" lights the other day and I'm real impressed with them.

The 4" units are pretty small, although quiet deep, but were ideal for what I needed for my bumper. If you like low profile lighting the 4" ones are a good choice, if you prefer bigger lights then the 7" ones will be available next month.

The current 4" ones come with an red anodized aluminum trim ring, which for my JK worked out well. 4" units with with black trim rings will be available next month also.

I had already run relay switched wiring for some previous lights, so used that. As they only draw 35w it would be interesting to see if they would run off the factory fog light circuit.

The mounting bracket hardware is stainless and aluminum and very well made, one of the best I've seen on any light.

The beam pattern is great, not sudden cut offs or weird shaped pattern, pretty well diffused and a good overall pattern.

I have mine aimed down slightly as I want the area around me lit up really well, aiming them slightly higher may get you a little more distance.

The pictures do not do justice to how bright these lights are, when you turn them off the factory headlights, (with Silverstar bulbs), look like candles.

·
Registered
792 Posts
Those look great. since the lumens rating is the same between the 4" and 7", what does getting the bigger size do for you?

·
Registered
5,199 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Those look great. since the lumens rating is the same between the 4" and 7", what does getting the bigger size do for you?
Cooler looks ;)

A bigger reflector and lens will usually result in a larger light pattern and more light.

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
/\ As Phill states above. I got the 7" and the light output i got is double what i see in the pic.

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
Im just trying to get my hands on some of the 7" black out covers. If somebody get some and want to sell i buy em.

·
Registered
694 Posts
Hope I dont get slapped for this but anyone that needs the 7" they are still on sale here. I just ordered a set last week.

http://shop.oreillyauto.com/HotDeals.aspx
:shaking:

...or you could wait and support your local offroad shop to help ensure that he sticks around through these poor economic times, and return the favors that he continually does for you by providing support, knowledge and industry specific products. I like that idea better than a world of Walmart, Home Depot and OReillys. ...maybe I'm biased though! :beer:

·
Registered
343 Posts
:shaking:

...or you could wait and support your local offroad shop to help ensure that he sticks around through these poor economic times, and return the favors that he continually does for you by providing support, knowledge and industry specific products. I like that idea better than a world of Walmart, Home Depot and OReillys. ...maybe I'm biased though! :beer:
I know, I did'nt feel right about posting the link :(

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
Phil,

Nice photos of the lighting. The rig looks good too.

I need to pick up a set of these. I guess I'll be the guinea pig to see if they work with the stock fog relays.

T

·
Registered
314 Posts

·
Registered
777 Posts
damn one thing i hate about the PIAA's that i have is the wiring and the relays

this would be slick to just wire it to the stock fog light wiring

anybody know if the 7 inch ones will work with the sotck fog wiring, or do they draw more power???

·
Openly Hostile
6,981 Posts

anybody know if the 7 inch ones will work with the sotck fog wiring, or do they draw more power???
They are both 35 watts.

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
so, are the rules the same for using these on the street as the stock foggers? Those things are bright...but I might be interested later after I get a new bumper...?

·
Registered
694 Posts
Phil,

Nice photos of the lighting. The rig looks good too.

I need to pick up a set of these. I guess I'll be the guinea pig to see if they work with the stock fog relays.

T
Considering they only pull a hair over 3 amps when running, I cant think of a reason why not.

The internals on the 4" and the 7" are the same... starter, ballast, bulb... Everything except the housing and reflector.

They are both 35 watts.
I havent confirmed this, but have read that a meter was put on them and they were running 43 actual watts. I'm beginning to understand that the wattage rating is a little vague...

so, are the rules the same for using these on the street as the stock foggers? Those things are bright...but I might be interested later after I get a new bumper...?
You will have to check with your STATE laws on this. I have read all kinds of crazy stories about what is allowed and what isnt. As a precautionary measure, we say they are for offroad use only. The lawyers make me say it! :beer:

1 - 20 of 39 Posts