·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone

I have a 2009 jku and i purchased DDM TUNING HID
i got
-2 bulbs (High/Low)
-wiring harness (H13 to H4 because i got IPF lenses and also High/Low)
-2 35w ballasts

Anyways i get flicker when the DRLS are on and same with high beams.
I read that u can cut up the harness and add in resistors but i do not know
much about anything when it come to electrical things so i would love to
keep everything plug and play. So I was reading that you can get canbus
ballast and it will solve this problem is this true? I do not have any indicators
saying that i have a light out or anything, just a flickering.

any help would be great.
Thanks

Mudzilla

·
R.I.P. Mr. Nibbles!
8,956 Posts
CanBus compatible HID kits usually have capacitors and resistors in the harness to keep the CanBus from freaking out because it doesn't "see" the load that the standard halogen bulbs puts across the headlight harness. There are companies that produce CanBus adapters that stop the flicker. :beer:

·
Registered
15 Posts
I used canbus cancellers on my 09, they plug in line right before the ballast. Haven't had any problems with flickering (I'm using a/c slim ballasts as well if that means anything).

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I used canbus cancellers on my 09, they plug in line right before the ballast. Haven't had any problems with flickering (I'm using a/c slim ballasts as well if that means anything).
where did u get ur canbus ballast from?

·
R.I.P. Mr. Nibbles!
8,956 Posts
Just thought of another thing. Do you have a ProCal? If you do, cancel the DRL's... In DRL mode the voltage being fed to the headlight can be from 40-60% lower than normal and that will destroy your HID ballasts. FYI

·
Registered
803 Posts
For one the CANbus has nothing to do with it. Blaming the CANbus for your JEEP light flicker is like blaming your Internet connection for flickers of your in house lights.
The TIPM is the component that controls your JEEP power and it applies pulsing power (PWM) to your Headlights in order to extend the life of filament bulbs and to control brightness for the DRL function. The Flicker eliminators (Capacitors) are able to smooth out the long duty cycle PWM that occurs with the engine running and the lights normal on but they won't be able to do the same with the short duty cycle that is present when DRL is on.
With a ProCal you could program out the DRL but the OPP might not like that or you can program different lights to come on instead of the Headlights (fog or flasher) which might be more OPP friendly. Other option is to use a relay after the flicker eliminator on the headlight harness and power the HID ballasts with direct power via the relay.
Edit to add: until you get it fixed it's better to always switch your lights on when driving because otherwise the flicker might kill your ballasts and HID bulbs quickly.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
For one the CANbus has nothing to do with it. Blaming the CANbus for your JEEP light flicker is like blaming your Internet connection for flickers of your in house lights.
The TIPM is the component that controls your JEEP power and it applies pulsing power (PWM) to your Headlights in order to extend the life of filament bulbs and to control brightness for the DRL function. The Flicker eliminators (Capacitors) are able to smooth out the long duty cycle PWM that occurs with the engine running and the lights normal on but they won't be able to do the same with the short duty cycle that is present when DRL is on.
With a ProCal you could program out the DRL but the OPP might not like that or you can program different lights to come on instead of the Headlights (fog or flasher) which might be more OPP friendly. Other option is to use a relay after the flicker eliminator on the headlight harness and power the HID ballasts with direct power via the relay.
Edit to add: until you get it fixed it's better to always switch your lights on when driving because otherwise the flicker might kill your ballasts and HID bulbs quickly.
Thanks for the great information and just to be clear i wasnt blaming the canbus for flickering i wanted to know if the canbus would stop the flickering.

·
Registered
803 Posts
CANbus can't stop anything, CANbus is just a communication network that connects all the individual control modules. CANbus is just the messenger and they say not to shoot the messenger :)

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
CANbus can't stop anything, CANbus is just a communication network that connects all the individual control modules. CANbus is just the messenger and they say not to shoot the messenger :)
i know the feeling happens in my job. but thanks again for the info.:thankyou:

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Contact Tom @ HID Projectors. He has a couple threads on here since he does retrofits. I'd be willing to bet he could get you just a set of cancellors. He uses them in his kits.
thanks and i'm guessing me a forum sponsor?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts