JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
813 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So Stigo and I met up for a day of wheeling at Hidden Falls this weekend, and I had already made plans to camp the night with my wife and daughter, and brought my little sister along as well to play with my kid. I had also decided that today was going to be a :beer: day, and that my wife needed to learn how to do some wheelin', so she was behind the wheel all day. This was her first time really doing anything offroad, and I must say, she did spectacular! Stigo had gone the weekend before with Marcus from RCO, but due to mechanical issues, they didnt get to do many trails. I told him we could start off with a "fun" trail :grinpimp: I decided to go up to the top of the hill and do Wildcat in reverse, which is a level 4/5 trail.

After this section, we got into an extremely flexy part of the trail, and we ended up ripping the smittybilt steel fenders off the rear passenger side, so we went ahead and pulled off both rears as that was really the only thing that was contacting hard.

·
Registered
813 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So after we got the fenders off after some more :beer: and cussing, the kids were ready to go hit some more trails.

So at this point, the only "damage" was the rear fenders getting torn off, which hadnt really done anything. We drove down to the back of the park with the intention of doing Wet and Wild, but when my wife looked at the entrance, she said oh HELL NO!. LOL. so we kept going, got lost for a few minutes, and then ended up on Snoopy Falls. Josh mentioned that this was the trail that him and Marcus had tried the week before, and marcus had gotten some body damage, and they had to winch out of the exit. I said, meh lets do it! :grinpimp: immediately we come up to the first obstacle which was much more dug out then it was the last time i did it.

We managed to get by that with only a scrape on the hard top

but then on the section where they had to winch out before, we made it successfully but knocked off the rear tail light

didnt get any pics of Ginny doing the obstacle as I was slightly concerned we were in for some major body damage LOL

this is Stigo doing the obstacle

He made it up sucessfully without help!

After that, it was starting to get dark, so we headed back to the campsite, and Josh helped us put together our propane grill since apparently drinking :beer: impairs your judgement on putting things together :thefinger:

We ate some damn good food thanks to my wife and hung out and had a great night of camping

·
Registered
813 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
In the morning Ginny made some eggs and mushrooms and BACON!! LOL

We drove around after breakfast and found a couple guys with a LJ rubicon with a nice longarm suspension lift, and they said they hadnt really found any good trails. I said we could do Wildcat, as thats one of my favorite trails. I decided to drive this time as I was nice and sobered up LOL.

Unfortunately, my wife is nowhere near as picture happy as I am, so I only got a couple pics.

The LJ ended up breaking their front driveshaft at the DC joint, and he limped back to the campsite. We decided to go ahead and pack it up and call it a day, as almost everybody had cleared out.

And that was our trip!

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
What trail took out the fender?
I have been out there 3 times but never with anyone who knew the place.
Wet'n'wild is the toughest trail ive seen out there so far..
I need to go out there with someone who knows the place.

Mat:beer:

·
Registered
813 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Wet and wild isnt that bad to me. No name has some spots where you can get some serious rocker panel damage if you arent paying attention. coming out of the exit (really, the entrance since we were doing it backwards) of Wildcat is where it gets extremely flexy and the tires were getting into the fenderwells, and caught the lip of the fender and tore it off the body. once I took those off, and fired up my trusty portable sawzall and cut the pinch seam back a little more, we didnt have any more issues with rubbing.

What was interesting to me was I really didnt know what the Rubi would be capable of doing, I've done alot of trails at hidden falls in my built toyotas, but those were dedicated offroad rigs and i wasnt sure exactly what the Rubicon would be capable of doing. I'm happy to say we didnt get stuck or come remotely close to getting stuck anywhere. Josh had a little bit of a scare at one point on wildcat, we thought for sure he had broken something in his steering. LOL. time for Hydro Assist!

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Sounds like you need a little more bump stop!lol
I need another inch up front I catch the liners if I turn.
We ran wetnwild backwards last time I was out, it was pretty fun.
Scraped the bed liner off my sliders and bent my frame side control arm mount.

·
Registered
13,230 Posts
Looks like a good time, I'd like to make it out there at some point.

·
Official Monkey Business
12,215 Posts
Dang, I'd have loved to make that run. I like HF a lot. Great shots and very cute kids!

·
Premium Member
2,507 Posts
Hey Stigo and Tribal, it was nice meeting you guys. Looks a good time was had by all. I'm really looking forward getting back out there. I've got about a dozen video clips from the trip that I need to put together.

Sent from my mind using telekynesis!

·
Registered
813 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yeah jaybee it was nice meeting you too. Sounded like you cypress guys were really partying it up sat night with the raffle or something it sounded like.

I was so proud of my wife. *sniffle when we got the first scratch she said ah screw it, its a jeep. LOL

Next time it'll just be me and Ginny, so that we don't have to worry about the kids and can enjoy more adult beverages at night.

We definitely need to do another run/camping trip while the weather is perfect for it.

·
Registered
559 Posts
Hey Stigo and Tribal, it was nice meeting you guys. Looks a good time was had by all. I'm really looking forward getting back out there. I've got about a dozen video clips from the trip that I need to put together.

Sent from my mind using telekynesis!
yea you too man!!! Let me know when you guys are headed back down. Im always down for some wheelin

·
Premium Member
2,507 Posts
Yeah jaybee it was nice meeting you too. Sounded like you cypress guys were really partying it up sat night with the raffle or something it sounded like.

I was so proud of my wife. *sniffle when we got the first scratch she said ah screw it, its a jeep. LOL

Next time it'll just be me and Ginny, so that we don't have to worry about the kids and can enjoy more adult beverages at night.

We definitely need to do another run/camping trip while the weather is perfect for it.
things got a little sporty with the chilli cookoff. Then i accidentaly detroyed about a liter of Jack Daniels. The only that kept me alive on sunday was breakfast at the Blue Bonnet Cafe.

·
Premium Member
2,507 Posts
LOL so thats what it was.

You know what else was interesting, the trails were on our Mygig navigation. We didnt realize it until we were heading out, and turned the radio to the navigation and saw all the trails and the parkroad we were on. LOL
My buddy james was riding with me with his GPS to map the trails. About 2minutes in the batteries crapped out and he didn't have the 12v power plug for it.

I really like the last run up and out of Snoopy Falls. The extra length on the JKU seems to help alot. Some of the TJ guys were getting squirrely on the climb out.

Most of those in the group were running TJ's and YJ's so i had to represent the JK contingency. There was some minivan talk until i pulled a busted YJ up out of bronco buster.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Looks like you guys had a good time. I wanted to go real bad but we had just gotten back from out of town. We need to start a Calender in the Texas thread so that everyone knows whats up!

1 - 20 of 43 Posts