JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 door 2010 JK sport
913 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Question. I'm considering getting a used set of retrofitted HID projector lights for my JK. However looking at some pics, I'm not a huge fan of the bug look... I have some lens tint at home that I had used on my tail lights of my XJ. I'm curious if I lightly tinted the lights to obscure the bug look, how much light I would lose? And if I could darken it enough to obscure it (not completely black it out - but just enough to make it harder to notice), without losing or significantly decreasing the light output.

Pics stolen from a dif thread.

In this pic you can clearly see the bug look vs the stock light...

·
Registered
13,230 Posts
I'd say you'd need a significant amount of tint to cover that. Hindering the light output by a bunch, still illegal, and probably wouldn't look much better.

I too hate the bug eye.

·
Super Moderator
15,337 Posts
Herbie.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Whoa, those are actually pretty nice. The only ones I've seen thus far look like this:

Which is beyond hideous. I would totally go for the ones in your pic...

·
Registered
13,230 Posts
Function over form for me. I really don't care how they look if they work better.
For you, or the other people on the road? Non projected HIDs throw light very well in my opinion. Not the nicest thing to do, but it gets out much better than the BMWs I've sure driven at night with projectors.

Just my opinion.

I would not run those screamin lizard lights if they were given to me. Couldn't handle the looks. Just where my priorities are, thats all I see when I look at a Jeep with those.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Non projected HIDs throw light very well in my opinion. Not the nicest thing to do, but it gets out much better than the BMWs I've sure driven at night with projectors.
Are you implying that Xenon capsules in Halogen reflectors have a better pattern than Bosch BMW HID projectors?

·
Registered
13,230 Posts
Are you implying that Xenon capsules in Halogen reflectors have a better pattern than Bosch BMW HID projectors?
Pattern? No, not close either. Ability to see a broader range? Yes. It is definitely not nearly as defined as the BMW lights, however I am able to see a wider span. While certainly not as pleasant to other drivers, I feel the light output in my JK is better than that of a BMW with factory xenons. As in ability to see whatever it may be on (further output), or near the road. (animals, debris, etc)

It is just my opinion. I am giving no facts. Take it for what it's worth (not much) :beer:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts