JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am gong to installed 2 sets of light on the RR front runner guard pictured below. One set is a xenon halogen driving light by delta and the other is a set of H.I.D. lights. I was thinking of installing the HID lights in front of the head lights and the driving lights over the winch. I was wondering if any one has used there H.I.D. lights in ether type of applications. Do they work better closer together, or further apart? Is there an issues of to much heat? Any input is greatly appreciated. I am going to drill the front runner and run the wires inside of the bumper, so I only want to do this once.:bounce:

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I need Options

There are a couple of reasons. Let me back track and explain the current set up. I have the Delta quad bar and fog light in the jeep currently, and I will be installing the 100 series delta driving lights that are street legal. I travel upstate New York a lot and want the additional lighting for that highways and back roads. I am getting the same Delta 100 series light as H.I.D. for the beach. I always stick with the same brand when it comes to things like this, I don’t go in for the mixed and matched look. I feel with this set up it gives me a lot of difrent configuations I can run, (HEad lights, and fog), (Head Lights and Driveing), (H.I.D, and Fog) etc. Are you currently running any H.I.D., I would like to know what you think of them.

·
Registered
143 Posts
For distancing, it depends what beam pattern the lights are - fog, driving or pencil.

As for power, the HID's are probably 35w which will draw less current than the halogen "xenon" bulbs - the halogen bulbs will not be as bright as the 35w HID's either.

On my old truck which had a prerunner bumper, I ran driving/pencil lights on the outside pointing straight ahead, and fogs on the inside angled slightly lower.

If possible, I'd suggest you run all HID's but with different color temperatures. 3000k for the fogs, and 5000k for the driving.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Look at it this way

As for power, the HID's are probably 35w which will draw less current than the halogen "xenon" bulbs - the halogen bulbs will not be as bright as the 35w HID's either.
From my understanding the halogen driving lights are street legal, and the H.I.D. are not. That's why I am looking to have a hybrid set up. I think that I might have gotten the answer to my question from Delta today. It seams that the HID only have about 20" of wire from the lights to the ballasts. IF this is the cast then I might only be able to uses them on the out side location. I figure with what Delta is telling me, that these lights are 4 times brighter then the halogens, (Daylight brightness) that they are going to over power the head lights any way. Once I get a little further with the project I will post pic.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts