1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
13,229 Posts
I loved my HIDs in stock housings. They are extremely blinding to other drivers and I have since pulled them. But they lit up like no tomorrow. Last few years all my vehicles had HIDs, I eventually hit a point where I actually cared about not trying to blind someone off the road. SOBs kick out a ton of scattered light.

·
Registered
3,213 Posts
HIDs in stock housings are brighter than hell, but you're gonna' piss off oncoming traffic. The stock housings do a piss poor job of focusing the light. First step is to upgrade the housings. If you can afford it, go with the Cibies. Otherwise, get a set of IPF H4 conversion lamp and then get your DDM HID bulbs & ballasts. That's the route I'm taking, but going with a different bulb. Although, I've never heard any complaints about DDM Tuning's bulbs. Lots of VW guys run them in their GTI's for fogs, etc. GOod pricing, too.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have HID's in my stock housing and have no problems at all. I do have my lights adjusted all the way down as far as they can go. There is some light scatter out of the stock housing, but nothing too bad. I never get flashed from on coming traffic. If you adjust your lights you should be fine.

From what I have read from people who have changed the housing to the IPF the light scatter is about the same as stock.

Don't buy from DDM, their stuff is junk. Retro-Solutions & VVME seem to get the best reviews from users in other vehicle forums. The cost is pretty much the same.

good luck!

·
Registered
13,229 Posts
I have HID's in my stock housing and have no problems at all. I do have my lights adjusted all the way down as far as they can go. There is some light scatter out of the stock housing, but nothing too bad. I never get flashed from on coming traffic. If you adjust your lights you should be fine.
good luck!
Mine were adjusted the same, but results were apparently completely opposite.

·
Registered
2 door 2010 JK sport
909 Posts
I loved my HIDs in stock housings. They are extremely blinding to other drivers and I have since pulled them. But they lit up like no tomorrow. Last few years all my vehicles had HIDs, I eventually hit a point where I actually cared about not trying to blind someone off the road. SOBs kick out a ton of scattered light.
Same here. I had 55w HIDs and pulled them for some H13 Phillips Extremes. If I wasn't getting rid of this JK for a 2012 I'd put Cibies in with a wiring harness. But this is legal, and somewhat effective.

For the OP, there's a huge upgrade in light with HIDs and I understand why people go this route. If you do do this, please stick with the 35w HIDs (55w is really too bright) and take the time to really aim these low. Even then there's still a ton of light getting scattered, and it will likely bother other drivers.

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
Now that i have both 140 and 170 HIDs im thinking of doing this to match the HID theme I have going on, ethier that or doing the truck lite LED kit when the moneys right, what do you think?

·
Registered
753 Posts
I had EuroEFX HIDs on my old JK. I adjusted them the best I could, yet being lifted with larger tires, I would still blind the occasional oncoming car. But when driving or stopped behind smaller cars, they absolutely hated me (Cadillac XLRs and late 90's Honda Civics, especially)!
If you're going to do it, upgrade your housings!

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
I just put some IPF 130/120 bulbs and they are dam bright and nobody flashes me.

·
Registered
573 Posts
get the bi-xenon kit: http://www.vvme.com/search-result?main_page=advanced_search_result&search_options=1&search_options=1&in_cat=44&option_7=93&option_1=-1&option_30=154&option_31=152&inc_subcat=0&search_in_description=0&sort=20a&option_7=93&option_1=13&option_30=154&option_31=152

I have another brand of 55w HID bi-xenon installed in my CIBIE housings and they are crazy bright.... unfortunately I get flashed and p!ss off the semis when I follow them. The light pattern is a bit more diffused with the HID lights than with the Silverstars but that is only part of the problem. I'd like to find either a better fit with a pattern that does not blind oncoming drivers and where the cutoff on low beam really matches the Silverstar cutoff better. I formerly had 80w H4 halogens installed and they were a LOT brighter than the Silverstars and I never got flashed with them.

p.s. The VVME price on bi-xenons is a really good one... about 1/2 of what I paid for my kit.

·
Registered
3,213 Posts
get the bi-xenon kit: http://www.vvme.com/search-result?main_page=advanced_search_result&search_options=1&search_options=1&in_cat=44&option_7=93&option_1=-1&option_30=154&option_31=152&inc_subcat=0&search_in_description=0&sort=20a&option_7=93&option_1=13&option_30=154&option_31=152

I have another brand of 55w HID bi-xenon installed in my CIBIE housings and they are crazy bright.... unfortunately I get flashed and p!ss off the semis when I follow them. The light pattern is a bit more diffused with the HID lights than with the Silverstars but that is only part of the problem. I'd like to find either a better fit with a pattern that does not blind oncoming drivers and where the cutoff on low beam really matches the Silverstar cutoff better. I formerly had 80w H4 halogens installed and they were a LOT brighter than the Silverstars and I never got flashed with them.

p.s. The VVME price on bi-xenons is a really good one... about 1/2 of what I paid for my kit.
I need to see your rig in person. I'm wanting to jump to HID's soon myself. Haven't seen the Cibie's in person yet, so I wanted to see what the differences are between them and the IPF H4's I have now.

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
I run the VVME 55W kit so I don't have to run the Can Bus Canceler boxes. I have them adjusted pretty well and I don't have problems with oncoming traffic. Now when I run my HID Fogs on coming traffic hates them. They through light everywhere so they are great for when you are on the road by yourself.

·
Registered
437 Posts

·
Registered
315 Posts
I have the 35w BiXenon kit with cancelors in a 4300 K i can sell. I had them and they are bright as hell!! no mistaking that. I was going back and forth between cibies and HID's, i went with the HID's first and while they are bright as hell, they lit up everything and were pretty blinding to oncomming traffic. I found a great deal on some used cibies and love them. The cibies are not as bright as the HID's but the usable light is the same on the road.

If someones interested in the HID's i have from VVME, let me know.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts