JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
6,381 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone mounted a hi-lift on their hood hinges on their JK like you can on a YJ or TJ?

I know the hood is pretty flimsy but I was thinking that a mount that uses the hinge bolts should put most of the weight on the hinges and cowl instead of the hood.

Just wondering if anyone makes a mount or has tried it?
Should be a pretty simple fab job - might have just talked myself into tackling it tonight :grinpimp:

·
Registered
774 Posts
I was going to do it tomorrow. I am going to cut some flat stock and weld a 1/2 bolt to it with a nut to hold the jack and a wing nut to hold it in place. I am just going to make it fit where the bolt holes are on the hinge. I already tried to put it where the rubber bumpers are, but that is too flimsy.

·
Registered
6,381 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
gmta

I was thinking flat stock bolted over the hinges with a 1" square tube riser bar between the hinge mounts to make it 1 piece and to try to strengthen the whole deal.
It's already such a pain to fold down the windshield, whats a couple more bolts to take the jack mount off I guess.

·
Registered
5,199 Posts
Has anyone mounted a hi-lift on their hood hinges on their JK like you can on a YJ or TJ?
I've seen it done. The guy said he bought the brackets and they were supposed to be for a JK, but required some "adapting". Unfortunately, I can't recall the name of the company he got the brackets from, but making some should be pretty easy.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
there is some rack, Rockhard, or something for the TJ and in my 4WD magazine recently i saw a picture of a JK with the same rack on the hood with a highlift but the website only showed it for a TJ. I have been waiting for one for awhile.

·
Registered
6,381 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
this one?
http://www.toughstuffproducts.com/jeep/hood_rack.html

I found that one but it says for TJs and $200 was a little steep

I finished mine up tonight, just need some longer hood hinge bolts to mount it
used all square tubing, 2 short pieces of 1/2" tubing for standoffs and to run the mounting bolts through with a 1" square tubing bar across the 2 smaller tubes with 2 bolts welded through from the backside to mount the jack.

·
Registered
6,381 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
Registered
900 Posts
hey Venom, looks good. Does it rattle around much mounted up there? Another question (slightly off topic)......how do you like the Mopar bumper? I've pretty much narrowed it down to Mopar or the Rugged Ridge modular but would like to hear from people that have them. Thanks. :)

·
Registered
6,381 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
No rattles yet - just have to be SUPER careful getting that heavy monster up there and in place without scratching paint or denting the factory tinfoil, err I mean sheetmetal.
Only problem I have seen so far is that it blocks the factory windshield washer squirter :bawling:
Not the end of the world, but annoying and I'm looking for a solution.

The Mopar bumper has been great but there are a few changes I'm making on it-
doesn't come with light mounts on the hoop (made a bracket to hold a pair)
no holes for recess mounted fog lights (I'm working on that one - just need a 4" metal hole saw)
no D ring mounts - I think someone makes some that bolt on in place of the factory tow hooks, just gotta find them.

·
Registered
900 Posts
Thanks for the input. I can live without the fog light holes since I don't have any factory fogs. I can also live without the d-ring mounts since I will use the factory tow hooks I've already got. As far as the other lights, I'll just mount them on the outside of the bumper as you have. BTW.......you own stock in a lighting manufacturer or what? :D

As far as relocating the windshield washer, try adding an appropriately sized piece of rigid nylon tubing between the hose and the factory sprayer. A piece about an 1 1/2" long looks like it would work. You might have to epoxy things together and it would look like a very short antenna, but it would probably work. Just my .02 :)

·
Registered
6,381 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
BTW.......you own stock in a lighting manufacturer or what? :D
Nah, but I spend a lot of time in the middle of nowhere in the middle of the night catching rattlesnakes. Portable Sunlight System is very handy at that point :bounce:

I tried the washer sprayer today and quite a bit of it still makes it to the glass so I'll prob just leave it until it ticks me off, then I'll come up with some ridiculously complicated plan to fix it and spend a month working on it cuz I'm funny like that :smokin:

A

·
0 Posts
just have to be SUPER careful getting that heavy monster up there and in place without scratching paint or denting the factory tinfoil, err I mean sheetmetal.
It looks good but I’m 100% confident I’m too much of a klutz to get it on and off without denting the hood.

·
Registered
900 Posts
Unfortunately, it wouldn't take much to dent the hood. I won't even let the wife help washing it for fear she won't be careful enough with the "sheet metal". :pissed:

A

·
0 Posts
Unfortunately, it wouldn't take much to dent the hood. I won't even let the wife help washing it for fear she won't be careful enough with the "sheet metal". :pissed:
Actually it more resilient than I thought. When mine was brand new I was opening the hood and let it go, thinking it had something to stop it from going all the way!!! It bounced off the top of the windshield and I was sure there would be a dent, but it was fine not even a mark.

Don’t go trying that at home folks I may just have been lucky :innocent:

·
Registered
5,199 Posts
Actually it more resilient than I thought. When mine was brand new I was opening the hood and let it go, thinking it had something to stop it from going all the way!!! It bounced off the top of the windshield and I was sure there would be a dent, but it was fine not even a mark.
You were lucky, plenty of people get them back after service work with dents in the hood from techs doing that.

The fender panels seem to be the easiest to dent, as i have a few already. the doors and hood are so flexy that flex rather than dent, the fender areas just dent.

·
Registered
6,381 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
1 on the top of the cowl (from being dumb and putting the jack on backwards first time - opened the hood and the foot of the jack dug in)
1 on the side of the cowl - untethered door just BARELY swung open and the mirror mount bit into it
1 on the drivers rear door - bumped into it with an empty PLASTIC trash can

those are the 'my' fault ones - add a couple of other small trail dings, all before 11K miles :bawling:
luckily they're all small and pretty hard to see,

·
Registered
10 Posts
hey Venom, looks good. Does it rattle around much mounted up there? Another question (slightly off topic)......how do you like the Mopar bumper? I've pretty much narrowed it down to Mopar or the Rugged Ridge modular but would like to hear from people that have them. Thanks. :)
You've probably already thought of this...I'd think you could lift the factory squirters up with spacers, slightly beveled perhaps so the spray would not aim to high. I was thinking to use a shock grommet or something like that which is easily shaved to accomplish the bevel.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts