JKOwners Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ijust had installed a Rough Country 2.5" spacer lift kit w/shocks installed so I could run 305/70r17 Nitto Grappler AT tires. It had 18" stock Jeep wheels w/Bridgestone Dueler 255r7018 AT's. I am happy with it except for what I call for lack of a better term the "row boat in the ocean" feeling that I get when driving on uneven roads. it darts & dives & is almost scary at times especially when changing lanes at expressway speeds. I haven't had a chance to get out on the rough to see how it performs there. What suggestions would y'all make to get rid of this? should I have gotten the better kit with the springs? Would it help to add springs now? Would adding a steering stabilizer kit help at least for the darting? TIA for any & all suggestions.

· Registered
11 Posts
Welcome! It sounds like it perhaps might have the notorious "Death Wobble". There is an easy fix for it, and I would search for it and the signs as to if you have it. I would check it out.

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ijust had installed a Rough Country 2.5" spacer lift kit w/shocks installed so I could run 305/70r17 Nitto Grappler AT tires. It had 18" stock Jeep wheels w/Bridgestone Dueler 255r7018 AT's. I am happy with it except for what I call for lack of a better term the "row boat in the ocean" feeling that I get when driving on uneven roads. it darts & dives & is almost scary at times especially when changing lanes at expressway speeds. I haven't had a chance to get out on the rough to see how it performs there. What suggestions would y'all make to get rid of this? should I have gotten the better kit with the springs? Would it help to add springs now? Would adding a steering stabilizer kit help at least for the darting? TIA for any & all suggestions.

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It's not the Death Wobble. I've experienced that on other vehicles but not this one. This feels like extreme body roll, mostly when changing lanes on the expressway, especially if the center line is a little rutted or uneven like most of I-94 lol. I know it won't probably happen but it gives you the feeling that the vehicle could roll over which scares the crap out of you if your not expecting it at 65mph plus. I'm thinking a steering stabilizer will help the freeness in the steering but I doubt it will do anything for this body roll situation.

· Super Moderator
287 Posts
That's pretty much how mine drives with the same RC lift and 35x12.5 tires. Got a little bit better when I adjusted the toe, but to get the ride more steady, I think you (and I) need adjustable lower control arms to fix the caster angle.

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes, I just got off the phone with my vendor and that is what he said. He said they will put that kit on one Jeep & it will drive fine & put same kit on another Jeep & it will be squirely and they will have to install adjustable lower control arms to get caster correct. Luck of the draw I guess. :( He also blamed some of it on used tires.

· Super Moderator
287 Posts
Check your alignment, and try different tyre pressures, not sure what works best with your tire but it does matter. Wranglers are not streetcars, they ride like whales right out of the box, and bigger tires and lifts just make it worse, more or less.

· Premium Member
1,195 Posts
I remember first driving my Jeep. It was white knuckles, steering with both hands on the steering wheel at highway speeds. Any bump in the road was awful. My experience was called bumpsteer and the jittery steering wheel was not fun. I tried the steering attenuator, now called the Griffen, by steer smarts. It was a huge difference for me. It totally changed my highway driving experience. There are others who feel the same but then their are others who are skeptical.

· Banned
1,894 Posts
coilrod, what do you suggest doing?
I'd probably look at my toe, my pressures, the shocks, rotate the tires, see if that changes anything. Then I'd check the alignment, replace the track bar bolt with a 9/16" and maybe a weld washer depending on how ovaled it is (or if it was ovaled at all), put it on a rack, loosen all fasteners, inspect all bushings, joints and connections, and if possible, the unit bearings, drop it and torque to spec.
With those tires, I'd be on the edge of wanting hydro assist, so I might add that after the roller coaster steer you described is fixed.
I found that my 37" MTRs wore in, any rotation of the tires lead to vibration similar to when my unit bearings wore out.
I'm not a mechanic, and my experience comes from breaking my own stuff and either applying fixes from the interweb, or taking it to a custom offroad shop.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.