JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Go fuck yourselves.
With a cactus.

So. A while back, despite the horrible customer service stories, I email John at Benchmark about his oil pan. Mention the stories and he says "I'll send you one for free, and pay me when you are happy"
So a few days go by and I have a package. I open it, it's an oil pan. But, not the one pictured on the website. Before I do anything I email him to make sure its the correct pan. "Yep that's the new high capacity design, don't pay me till it's installed and you are happy"

I go to a meet and greet, at a shop with a lift to do the install. 7 of the holes had to be reamed out to fit, because the flange was warped inward from the welding. I am getting cranky, but not too mad.
After a few days, I inspect the pan, on the off chance I had a leak.
I had a leak.
The nut that the drain plug screws into, was leaking through the welds. Seriously? What the fuck?
Another email. Now I am heated, as I gave my stock pan away, and am stuck with this leaky hunk of shit.
He immediately replies with an apology, and tells me that he is sending out the newest version, no charge to me for either pan. I agree.

I get the third gen in the mail, and laugh when I open it.
The drain plug is towards the front, has a nut welded to the inside of the pan(for the plug) and has a 1 1/2 dia hunk of DOM sticking out the bottom by an inch+ to protect the plug.
Heavy duty steel pan bolted to an aluminum block, with a rock catcher?
Not gonna happen.
So, with the help of cjcraig7, we modify it to a workable pan, smooth bottom and the drain in the back where it belongs.

Fast forward a couple months, to today.
I finally install the pan.
The new design requires some grinding of the aluminum skirt at the bottom of the block. Not happy about that, but it is a replaceable part.

I grind off exactly where the instructions say.
Wont fit.
I grind a little more.
Wont fit.
Use a red marker on the pan flange to see where it was touching.
Have to grind another 1/4 inch in two places.

It fits, but not flush.
I hit a few high spots I left.
Still not flush.
More marker, no more high spots.
What the fuck?

I grumble "motherfucker, don't tell me......"
And I take the pan to a mirror.
SHIT!
This fucking thing is warped too!
Not by much though, but more than I would like.

So instead of tossing the leaky second gen pan back on (especially after grinding) I tap the flange to get it closer to level, and install it with an extra thick bead of RTV.

Time will tell if it is good enough, but at least with Craigs welding, thecan be sure the drain plug wont be where it leaks.

[email protected] Benchmark, come down here to pick up this second gen oil pan. I'm gonna cram it up your ass.

·
R.I.P. Mr. Nibbles!
8,956 Posts
Maybe the dude has a problem with drinking, blow, and hookers? Weird how someone who could make awesome stuff can be so utterly random. Sucks, why didn't you just have Craig weld over the bung on the second gen to solve that leak and use that one?

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Because of the reamed holes, and the warped flange, it was leaking from there too. And while on the Rubicon, my front diff impacted it a couple times enough to scrape to bare metal.

Ill post pics tomorrow from a computer.
Yes. I posted all that from my phone.

·
Premium Member
3,068 Posts
That Sucks man. Though I don't like the design of the third gen pan, I bought one and it went on with no problems. No issues with the first gen either.

You sure you didn't fuck his daughter or run over his dog or something?

·
R.I.P. Mr. Nibbles!
8,956 Posts
What a punch to the sack... There are days when I think buying a 4' x 4' Torchmate or PlasmaCam would be a stellar idea. Just to ensure that I can escape crap like this...

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
I seem to remember reading an installation update that stated, in part, "turn the pan 180 degrees and re-install with super glue, and throw away the pan bolts." I would try that first before giving up. BTW, thanks for the OEM pan.:thefinger:

·
Registered
662 Posts
I'd say that sucks, but after flaming this worthless cock sucker on every forum..... I told ya so. He's a tool

1 - 12 of 12 Posts