JKOwners Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
The Jeep I bought was used. Happened to run into the previous owner in town and found out he was a member of the other forum. I went and checked out his post to see if he kept logs of things he had done to the Jeep. Low and behold he did. One of his finest mods was to use used dirty motor oil to re-blacken the fender flares. :shaking: Which in turn is starting to ruin the flares. I know, I know...the obvious thing to do is get flats....but can't right now.

With previous Jeeps that I have owned, I have learned to just leave the plastic stuff alone. Don't put a thing on them and they seemed to stay black and not brittle ALOT longer, if they even turn at all.

So....did some research. Seems like everyone either uses 303 or Ice. Unfortunately, in the middle of Texas, there aren't any marinas to buy 303 from and no authorized dealers at any other locations. I am impatient so I went with ICE. :bounce:

My question is...can 303 do better than this? I am pretty satisfied with the turn out. Quick and easy, just slap the junk on. However, if i could get better results or if 303 last longer, I can always order it online.

Before ICE:

After ICE:

·
Premium Member
1,397 Posts
Order it online! I used Ice on mine last year, and they were a complete mess after the winter. Used 303, and they're like new again. I did use a hard brush though, that's how bad they were to start with.

I remember my TJ ones were so bad I ended up painting them.

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
I have used a few different products and I also think 303 is the best. I buy it by the gallon from Amazon.com.

·
Registered
2,721 Posts
Picture a cloudy picture, then while 303 on it, now picture a brand new black fender...

Seriously I used ice and it is not even in the ball park, all the ice crap and others along with back to black are all long gone by way of the trash truck.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yeah it's not bad at all. 3 applications and that's the end result. Took all of 5 minutes. Just still curious about the 303 slop.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Side Note: NEver use Lexol!! I used that stuff on m Avalanche's cladding and bed covers and they turned gray after about a year.

For the Jeep I've used the Armor-all Orange Cleaning wipes and they work awesome!

I had some splatter that NOTHING I tried would clean them. A few minutes with the wipes and they are spotless and as new.

·
Registered
783 Posts
The Mothers stuff ruined mine. I didn't keep up with it and left them go for to long and now the black plastic trim on the outside of my jeep is a gray, chalky looking mess. I started using the 303 stuff and afterwards, it looks like new again, but if I go to long without reapplying it, it turns gray again. My tj I had before never had any problems with the trim turning gray, probably because I might have washed it 2, 3 times at the most, and I don't think I ever put anything on the trim. I've taken better care of this one, or so I thought and now the trim looks like hell.

·
Registered
39 Posts
i used the 303 for the first time this weekend, i ordered it from amazon.

it worked well enough, but i wasn't blown away. i wonder if it gets better after re-applying it regularly. i got the jeep in september, this was the first time i treated the fenders with anything since it was new.

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
I have tried quite a few different products including Ice, and Mothers, but aerospace 303 WAS the best until I tried Krown Leather and Vinyl conditioner. So far its the winner, dust doesn't stick, works awesome on the softtop (makes zippers work awesome), and does not streak when it gets wet.
http://www.krown.com/cms/

1 - 18 of 18 Posts