JKOwners Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1011635

I brought my build thread over from pirate. Should be done this spring.

Started with an 08 rubicon.

Build list includes:

1 ton axles out of a 2006 sd ford. 60 front/10.5 sterling rear. Btf truss front and rear. 5.38s Detroit/welded

Trailworthy fab recentered double beadlocks. 16.5"

42" rockers

14" kings on all corners. 6 up, 8 down

Custom dual triangulated 4 link rear, custom single triangulated 4 link in front.

Custom tranny and 4 link crossmember, skid plate.

Genright 20 gallon fuel cell.

Psc full hydro, double ended ram.

Custom front, rear bumpers

Custom rock sliders, armor.

Custom cage out of 1.72"x120 Dom

Mastercraft seats

Half doors

Chevrolet ls2, later this year or next year.

Can't remember what else.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Went to my buddies shop today and made my high steer arms. Only took about ten minutes. Used his iron worker machine. Made out of 3/4'' plate.

I'm still not finished with them but you get the idea. Planning to run a long strip gusset from the top of the steer arm over the top of the knuckle.

The peice that bolts to the knuckle is 3/8'' plate attached with 5 gr8 1/2'' bolts. The knuckle is drilled and tapped also, but i'm also using locknuts on the backside just for the hell of it.

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
Went to my buddies shop today and made my high steer arms. Only took about ten minutes. Used his iron worker machine. Made out of 3/4'' plate.

I'm still not finished with them but you get the idea. Planning to run a long strip gusset from the top of the steer arm over the top of the knuckle.

The peice that bolts to the knuckle is 3/8'' plate attached with 5 gr8 1/2'' bolts. The knuckle is drilled and tapped also, but i'm also using locknuts on the backside just for the hell of it.
Have you seen this high steer run before or are you busting new ground here. Cool either way. Just looking at the line of bolts and bouncing off the idea that staggered may be another route to avoid a door hinge effect?? Bottom break probably helps that out though. What are your thoughts? If you use some red lock tite on those threads to help ensure that those thread never even think about starting to move - may be good idea.

Carry on - I like watching others work!:)

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Have you seen this high steer run before or are you busting new ground here. Cool either way. Just looking at the line of bolts and bouncing off the idea that staggered may be another route to avoid a door hinge effect?? Bottom break probably helps that out though. What are your thoughts? If you use some red lock tite on those threads to help ensure that those thread never even think about starting to move - may be good idea.

Carry on - I like watching others work!:)
The sd knuckles don't have much flat surface area on top to use traditional high steer arms. I cut off the stock steering flanges and designed my own.

The knuckles are drilled and tapped. I will use locknuts on the inside of the knuckle as well. This will stop the bolts from ever being ripped out of the threads.

The whole high steer arm assembly wil be welded and bolted with gr 8 bolts. I don't ever see it breaking but anything is possible. I'm gonna beat on this thing like it owes me money.

I've never seen this type of highsteer. Just thought of it after a few beers.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I decided to move the front axle forward 3" for a better approach angle. Got the lower links extended, need material for the uppers.

Front axle is out and ready for paint. Should have the front axle painted and back in by next weekend. I need to run brake lines, order drive shafts, full exhaust, and button up misc crap.

·
Registered
925 Posts
The sd knuckles don't have much flat surface area on top to use traditional high steer arms. I cut off the stock steering flanges and designed my own.

The knuckles are drilled and tapped. I will use locknuts on the inside of the knuckle as well. This will stop the bolts from ever being ripped out of the threads.

The whole high steer arm assembly wil be welded and bolted with gr 8 bolts. I don't ever see it breaking but anything is possible. I'm gonna beat on this thing like it owes me money.

I've never seen this type of highsteer. Just thought of it after a few beers.
I decided to move the front axle forward 3" for a better approach angle. Got the lower links extended, need material for the uppers.

Front axle is out and ready for paint. Should have the front axle painted and back in by next weekend. I need to run brake lines, order drive shafts, full exhaust, and button up misc crap.
You've got some ingenuity my friend. I enjoy keeping up with this build. Build on! :beer:

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
Got the front axle, front lower links, hydro steering links all painted up. Waiting on some 1.25'' dom for an inner sleeve to lengthen the upper links because i decided to move the front axle forward 3 inches.

I should have it on the ground this weekend if i get my parts this week.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.