JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have driven clutches since the late 70`s , I`d like to think I have a handle on it by now . I am opening myself up here but what caused this catastrophic failure ? just half of one side is missing . 11 jk sport with 32,000 miles +/-

Attachments

·
Jeepineer
1,495 Posts
I'd venture that the clutch plate warped. Any way you can jig it up and spin it?

·
Registered
899 Posts
I'd think that the clutch plate or Trans input shaft is bent. Or, the answer is Chrysler/Fiat.
I agree.

Something is mis-aligned with the trans or the clutch.

I think you can rule out the pressure plate and flywheel, it would still wear the clutch out evenly (I think) if they was not machined flat.

·
Jeepineer
1,495 Posts
I think you can rule out the pressure plate and flywheel, it would still wear the clutch out evenly (I think) if they was not machined flat.

Agreed. Both would apply even wear.

I've seen a warped clutch plate in a subaru do something similar.

OP, another question. Are there lots of heat indications on the pressure plate and/or flywheel?

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
It does not look like uneven wear to me. Looks like part of the friction material broke off and was flung off.

High revs/heat, or faulty clutch disk.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
It does not look like uneven wear to me. Looks like part of the friction material broke off and was flung off.

High revs/heat, or faulty clutch disk.
yes , half of it flew off on a shift , not a hard shift . I will post some pics of the PP or perhaps just a video . I am sliding the trans in tonight so be patient please

Attachments

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
unless i'm wrong, theres some blueing on the pressure plate? (could be my view)

the material coming off could be any number of things. some of it going back to the date of manufacture. over reving the engine. heat damage. foreign material (mud) causing heat/balance probs.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts