JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Here we go... Ultimate Dana 60 swap

My JK was in an accident (Animal strike) so that was my excuse to start this whole project.

I know for a fact that a stock brake with 37's will not stop. That is a big part of my decision to go this way.

And here they are - Ultimate Dana 60's showed today.

44 laying near for comparison.

Attachments

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well I'm kind of new at this posting but I will get more pics and the rest of the story as we go.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Supposedly the rear TB bracket is raised....it doesn't really look like it is in your pics. Is that just an illusion from the angle the picture is taken?
It is raised some but not as much as i would have liked. I will get some measurements tonight and let you know how much.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You can use photobucket to host your images. Then, no limit.

Also it is hard to tell from the pics but I though the diff on these was supposed to be cocked like Currie for more clearance. Is that not the case or I just cant see it from the pics?
The front is but not the rear. Will get some better pics to show different things as we go along here.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
One more - mock up to see how it all fits. Still a lot more pieces to find and a few still in the box. All looks pretty good. The stock tie rod and drag ling would work if you wanted to use them. I had a Terraflex drag link flip on my 44 but the knuckle end is raised enough on the new knuckle that I may have to go back to an underslung link as shown here to get enough up travel on the passenger side.
Looks like the trac bar lowering bracket and brace may have to go as well. There will be a ram attached to the tie rod soon so I'm hoping there will be less force on the steering box and trac bar. Not sure on that one yet but will know pretty soon.

Attachments

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Unlimited Off Road had the best deal and have been good to work with. Call Mike ext 206.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Sorry guys no progress to brag on today. Too many other things going on.

·
Registered
154 Posts
It looks like your lift is on the casters. Those are supposed to be just for moving the lift around, not when you have a vehicle on it.

·
Registered
154 Posts
What control arms are you using? Did you have a lift before these axles or are you installing one at the same time? Looks like a good project.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
It looks like your lift is on the casters. Those are supposed to be just for moving the lift around, not when you have a vehicle on it.
You can move just the lift or move it with a vehicle on it in a certain down position. Or so I was lead to believe.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
What control arms are you using? Did you have a lift before these axles or are you installing one at the same time? Looks like a good project.
When I bought the Jeep it had a 4"or 5" Teraflex lift on it with very limited travel and questionable handling so that is the setup on it now. I have a set of Metalcloak arms, 3.5 springs and trac bars headed this way. Haven't settled on the tie rod, bump stops, shocks or other small items yet. There will be a lot of mock up and testing before I decide on the final parts to get as much travel as I can.

Call it dual sport or whatever but I'm building it to try and have good street manners and lots of off road ability as well. There is also a set of JKS Control Arm Correction Brackets sitting nearby that I may experiment with.

Almost forgot but there will be 1350 drivelines built once I figure out where everything will end up. The Dana 60's come with 1350 yokes so why not.

·
Registered
154 Posts
When I bought the Jeep it had a 4"or 5" Teraflex lift on it with very limited travel and questionable handling so that is the setup on it now. I have a set of Metalcloak arms, 3.5 springs and trac bars headed this way. Haven't settled on the tie rod, bump stops, shocks or other small items yet. There will be a lot of mock up and testing before I decide on the final parts to get as much travel as I can.

Call it dual sport or whatever but I'm building it to try and have good street manners and lots of off road ability as well. There is also a set of JKS Control Arm Correction Brackets sitting nearby that I may experiment with.

Almost forgot but there will be 1350 drivelines built once I figure out where everything will end up. The Dana 60's come with 1350 yokes so why not.
The higher you go the more the steering gets outa whack. You said the previous lift had a lowered track bar mount on the frame side? Was this the front or rear?was the axle side raised as well? You just need to make certain your track bar and drag link are perfectly parallel. Were the old track bars not adjustable? Good plan to wait to order shocks and bump stops. Did you order all 4 arms or just lowers? I don't see why you would need the control arm correction brackets if you have adjustable lowers, but I would think about raising shock mounts and maybe even raising lower control arm brackets just to get them up outa the rocks.
Are you sticking with the 37's?
Which way is the taper for the drag link end? Is it supposed to go in from the bottom?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
The higher you go the more the steering gets outa whack. You said the previous lift had a lowered track bar mount on the frame side? Was this the front or rear?was the axle side raised as well? You just need to make certain your track bar and drag link are perfectly parallel. Were the old track bars not adjustable? Good plan to wait to order shocks and bump stops. Did you order all 4 arms or just lowers? I don't see why you would need the control arm correction brackets if you have adjustable lowers, but I would think about raising shock mounts and maybe even raising lower control arm brackets just to get them up outa the rocks.
Are you sticking with the 37's?
Which way is the taper for the drag link end? Is it supposed to go in from the bottom?
Thanks for the info.

The previous lift had a lowered trac bar mount on the front frame side and stock height on the axle end.

Rear trac bar is stock and was raised at the axle and rubs on the spring because the lower spring mounts point to the rear because of the rotated axle etc.

The front trac bar was a monster Teraflex that doesn't have the clearance for the new axle housing and up travel I'm looking for. I have a JKS on now for the mock up as it has the forward curve at the diff for extra clearance but there will be a metalcloak one here soon with that package I bought. Will just see what looks better and go from there.

All new control arms headed this way as well with the kit I ordered from Metalcloak and I will play plenty with all that when it gets here before we start cutting and welding.

37's for now but would like to go just a little bigger if it all works.

Taper on the new axle for the drag link is set up to come from the bottom which I will leave to get enough up travel and the new setup is raised some anyway.
From what it looks like so far the raised trac bar mount on the new front axle will have my trac bar and drag link right on the money.

There will be plenty of testing and checking before we finalize the project. One thing I do really appreciate is all those who have gone before me with this kind of project. Also how many there are and that there is a wealth of information and great products out there.

Thanks to all who have gone down this road before me. It will save me a lot of experimentation and aggravation.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts