JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Please forgive me if this is the wrong section for this, but I'm not sure where to ask this question. I've looked online a good bit over the last month or two, and I'm getting a wide range of "values" but nothing that helps me get a good grasp.

I have a line on a 2007 Unlimited Rubicon with a 5.7L Hemi swap. The swap is done well using a JSS kit, and the rest of the rig is stock. The engine has about 70k on it, and the Jeep has about 110k on it. The Jeep is dirty, scratches, a few dings here and there, but I'm confident I can clean up the paint and interior enough to make it look nice.

What I'd like to do is try to estimate how much it'll be worth if I do what I'm thinking about doing.

I'd clean it up, and fix anything wrong with it.
Budget boost lift
37's or 35's
Spacers or Racelines
Corner armor
Bumpers
Winch

You think it would be worth $30k at that point? $25k?

I know a lot of the answer will come down to the quality of parts/kits I use to put it together, but I'm trying to decide if what I found is as good of a deal as I think it is. :thankyou:

Bring on the :shitstorm:

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
About $19k. If I end up not buying it, I can post his contact info. Needs new fan shroud, tailgate, muffler, and wheel speed sensors (and cleaned up).

·
Gunnery Sergeant USMC (ret)
22,098 Posts
About $19k. If I end up not buying it, I can post his contact info. Needs new fan shroud, tailgate, muffler, and wheel speed sensors (and cleaned up).
I don't want to buy it. 19K is a pretty good deal. Of course if the body is totally trashed out that might affect the price. But still it has a hemi already installed.

·
Registered
527 Posts
The typical V8 install is about $20k, if done by someone else. I know there are outliers, but that is the norm. Depending on how trashed it is aesthetically, will determine the value of the jeep. I just went through the process of looking for a used jeep in my area, and the cheapest I could find a JKU was $15k, but that was the only one at that price. Typically,they started around $20k.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I wouldn't say it's extremely rough or anything like that. It's mostly just dirty as hell. Has dents on both sides of the cowl, from the door swinging into it. Has a dent around the rear taillight, which wouldn't matter much, because I'd put corner armor on it. It also has a damaged tailgate from backing the OEM tire carrier into a tree, so it would need a new gate. Other than that, it's just dirt in all the cracks and crevices.

·
Gunnery Sergeant USMC (ret)
22,098 Posts

·
Registered
822 Posts
I think $25K is pushing it. I sold my 2007 JKUR with a 5.7 hemi conversion back in late 2012, early 2013. I had it for sale for over a year, and finally took something like $32K for it. It was an AEV kit, used motor with about 30,000 miles on it and about that on the jeep as well.

AEV lift, 37s, great condition, super clean, no damage. It was really hard to sell. Not sure why, but it was.

The only up side for me as that I didn't have a lot in it. I bought the jeep used in 2009 for cheap as the economy was in the toilet. I bought the motor and trans from a boneyard and did the conversion myself. If I would have had more money tied up in it, I probably would have never sold it for the price I did.

Its weird how a hemi conversion can be a tough sell. Hope that helps.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I think $25K is pushing it. I sold my 2007 JKUR with a 5.7 hemi conversion back in late 2012, early 2013. I had it for sale for over a year, and finally took something like $32K for it. It was an AEV kit, used motor with about 30,000 miles on it and about that on the jeep as well.

AEV lift, 37s, great condition, super clean, no damage. It was really hard to sell. Not sure why, but it was.

The only up side for me as that I didn't have a lot in it. I bought the jeep used in 2009 for cheap as the economy was in the toilet. I bought the motor and trans from a boneyard and did the conversion myself. If I would have had more money tied up in it, I probably would have never sold it for the price I did.

Problem with selling nice jeeps like this is only other jeepers or wheelers actually know the value of a hemi swap.

·
Registered
402 Posts

I suspect that you also run into the issue where many potential buyers don't have the cash in hand for the modified Hemi Wrangler or super rock crawler Wrangler, and a bank isn't going to loan them 175% of the book value. So you immediately knock away a huge chunk of interested buyers with a high value, but older vehicle. The bank still sees the vehicle from the perspective of auction value or black book value, so that is my guess why even a nicely put together vehicle can be hard to find a buyer for. Your looking for a buyer that can use liquid money to buy, and not everyone may have that ability.

·
Registered
11 Posts
My neighbor looked at a 2008 Rubicon with the LS swap last weekend in Birmingham. It was in great shape, to good of shape for him.
They were asking $25500 and it had been for sale since last May, it sold last week for $23000

·
Registered
431 Posts
I suspect that you also run into the issue where many potential buyers don't have the cash in hand for the modified Hemi Wrangler or super rock crawler Wrangler, and a bank isn't going to loan them 175% of the book value. So you immediately knock away a huge chunk of interested buyers with a high value, but older vehicle. The bank still sees the vehicle from the perspective of auction value or black book value, so that is my guess why even a nicely put together vehicle can be hard to find a buyer for. Your looking for a buyer that can use liquid money to buy, and not everyone may have that ability.

depends on your credit really

·
Registered
360 Posts
Theres a lot more to this question.
was the radiator upgraded? fan,? are they using stock exhaust? how does it look under the hood? are there light on in the dash? does the AC work? cruise?
what year engine?
not all hemis or LS motors are equal.. not by a long shot.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts