JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so, i got an or fab winch bumper... looks amazing. the only down fall is that it takes out the fogs.... soooo, i was wondering if there was any pig tails i could find to connect the stock fog wiring harness to my hids. this way, if i ever get rid of my jeep, i can just take the lights off and not deal with all the head aches of rewiring. any one have any ideas?

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
I don't know about pigtails, but IIRC, the JK uses a unique energy-saving H16 bulb that draws 24 Watts. Since Chrysler tends to use too-thin wires to start with, plus you have the PWM modulation on the power circuit for computer monitoring and control, I think trying to hook-up standard 55W halogens or even 35W HID's will be a problem.

Instead, what I'd do is just tap into the hot lead someplace on the fog light wiring bus and use that to trip a relay that actually powers the fog lights. Not only will this maintain and protect the OEM wiring and keep the TPIM from taking a crap, you'll get full brightness out of your new fog lamps. Just remember to put a capacitor across the relay's trigger inputs to filter out the PWM and a diode in-line with the trigger input from the fog light bus to protect the TPIM from the reverse voltage surge that occurs when the magnet in the relay de-energizes. Search the electrical tech forum or PM me if you don't understand what I'm talking about.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts