JKOwners Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm a complete noob when it comes to A/C systems and know little beyond the basic theory of them. I'm hoping somebody here can point me in the right direction for troubleshooting before it goes into the shop.

The other day I was driving around town with the A/C on and working just fine. After stopping at a store and then getting back on the road, the ac started acting up. It would go from cold while it was cycling, to warm. When it cycled back on it would get cold again and make a hissing noise at the same time. I didn't go anywhere the rest of the day. When I drove it the next day, the A/C completely quit working. The light comes on when the button is pushed, but no other indications of the ac working.

Any ideas?

Edit - A quick visual shows no sign of leakage. I can turn the clutch by hand, although it feels sluggish, and doesn't freely spin. Is this normal? Could it be low on freon?

· Registered
5 Posts
While driving sounds like the compressor was stopping and starting, this is called short cycling. This could be what you are thinking low on freon. I think when the system gets so low it will shut off the compressor, should start when you hook the freon bottle to it . The compressor turning by hand is a good thing. sounds like it is just low on freon. Hope this helps

· Registered
148 Posts
Sounds like it lost the freon. May need a recharge and leak test. If you are close by bring it in and we can give it a once over. We employ EPA Certified General class techs that can work on any refrigerant system except Ammonia.

· Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the insight guys. I didn't think it would be freon since it was working one day and quit the next, but again, I'm a noob when it comes to AC systems.

kmd, thanks for the offer, but a 24 hour one way drive through southwestern states to have my AC fixed doesn't sound very appeasing. I'll have to find something a little closer (Austin Tx)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.