JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2012 jk with a manual trans and I was out wheeling and went through a mud hole that turned out to be much deeper than I thought. I had the doors off which led water coming up to the top of the transmission tunnel. When I tried to power of of the mud I could feel the clutch slipping and immediately let off the throttle. While the engine was still running, I had a friend tow me out of the hole and back to our campsite. After getting there, I turned the engine off while I took the mud covered carpets out. About 30 minutes later I went to start it up again and it struggled to turn over but eventually coughed to life, almost as if the battery was weak. I the found out that the clutch was completely toast when I could shift through all the gears while the engine was on without touching the clutch pedal. I then turned the engine off again and tried to start it an hour later... It wouldn't turn over, just makes a click noise. Today I tried jumping the jeep and it still wouldn't turn. I am worried the damage may be worse than I initially expected. If anyone has any knowledge with this I would really appreciate the help. Thanks.

·
Gunnery Sergeant USMC (ret)
22,098 Posts
Could be just the starter is toast. Pull the plugs and see if you got water in the cylinders, probably not since it was already running. Drain the oil and see if you got water in their as well.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the response, I just made sure that no water got into the engine. I'm thinking if the starter doesn't end up being the problem, that maybe part of the wiring shorted out while under water. Are there any vulnerable electrical components I should be aware of?

·
Super Moderator
6,181 Posts
the entire thing is an electrical component ! Sorry you misjudged /weren't alerted to the holes depth and wanted to add that aside from starter , the alternator , ECU , your transfer case and every bit of wiring for battery and aftermarket stuff was likely soused ; you got some cleaning to do .... check grounding strap / negative lead and that all other grounding points are cleaned plus that your radiator isn't plugged with mud between its cites as well as electric fan and throttle pedal is also all electric 'fly by wire ' as well as ignition related .....yikes

·
Registered
250 Posts
if the starter solenoid is clicking when you try to crank the engine over, that proves in itself everything is working to send power to the S terminal of the starter. most likely as mentioned the starter is toast or packed full of mud.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts