JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I changed the thermostat (unrelated issue) and ended up with a crack in the throttle body. The Crack is just on the surface and doesnt go down to the inlet tube. I fired it up and when its at idle (780~ is proper idle) it fluctuates between 700 and 1K. I drove it around the block to see if it stopped but when i accelerate and let off the gas completely it drops to the proper idle and then it spikes up to 1K and almost "kicks" the car down the road. when it spikes I get a little "Lightning bolt" idiot light when that happens. No engine code, no check engine light. I havent driven it any distance but Im a bit afraid of it starting to stall out on me. With the hood proped up you can hear the butterfly open and shut. I know Im probably going to have to replace the whole throttle body because of the crack but Im afraid of it being a different issue. Could it be the TPS? Any help? Thanks so much!

·
Registered
13,230 Posts
I believe the "TPS" is completely integrated within the throttle body since it's a fly-by-wire it already knows where the throttle position is..sounds like it's time for a new TB. You managed to crack one of the most sensitive components on an engine, it's probably due for replacement. I bet that crack changes a bunch with a little engine heat as well.

·
Registered
660 Posts
Since your getting a new one you might want to check into getting a Viper throttle body. From what Ive read there cheaper than the OEM ones and you get a bit of horsepower gain.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts