JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi:
I'm a newbie from Canada. Great site, very helpful and informative.

I have been watching this site for the past few months. I just got my 2008 JK Unlimited in late May. Am just coming up to the 1000 mile mark and want to ge ready to change-out the factory oil.

I noticed the owner's manual recomends 5W-20 grade oil. This seems a very light oil for an engine that has to be relaible in some pretty severe operating conditions. Such a light grade of oil is not used in Canada for automobiles except for the areas experiencing extreme cold in the winter.

I was wonder what other folk are using in their JK engines. I would have expected to see Chrysler recommend the latest SAE approved grade of 10W-30. (better lubricating qualities than 5W-20)

I would really appreciate hearing from you guys, your thoughts and comments.

Thanks for taking the time to read.

·
Registered
6,381 Posts
a lot of the newer engines are using 5w or 0w oil due to the tighter manuf. tolerances in the higher tech motors
even most of the newer half ton pickups are using 5 or 0

·
Registered
19 Posts
Whatever the mfg. recommends I use. My first oil change is free from the dealer who sold me my JK - so they will put in the recommended oil anyway. After that when I change my own I will do the same though.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys

Thanks for the information and recommendations.

I too usually follow the manufacturer's suggestions.

Venom, thanks for the information. I did not realize how wide spread the 5W-20 was being used.

Thanks again guys, Its the 5W-20 for my JK as well.

·
Registered
3,204 Posts
Yeah...the last place I went to actually brough the cap to me and asked, "It says 5w20 on here...is that what you want?"

People will get used to it soon enough.

·
Registered
783 Posts
www.bobistheoilguy.com is a good site to check out if you wanna learn more about motor oil, or pretty much any kind of oil for that matter. You'll see a lot of guys on there using 5w-20 in cars and trucks because thats what the factory now recommends.

·
Registered
258 Posts
My advice is to use whatever the guy at the oil change shop puts in!!! I'm too lazy to crawl under there myself and do it. :grinpimp:

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks guys

Thanks guys for the information, support and the website on oil.

Been off-roading for the past 24 years In June, I had to say good bye to my good buddie, an '85 CJ-7. It always started, always took me where I wanted to go, and always brought me home, usually more muddy than when I left, but always home. Hope the JK lives up to the CJ's tuff standards.

Hard as my brother and I tried, we never could get the CJ stuck. Even dragged his Grand Cherokee with the sailboat attached out of Lake Ontario. (Told him jeeps don't float but...well let's just say older borthers don't always listen)

Thanks again guys

·
Registered
947 Posts
i have a freind at the Dodge dealer(ex chevy tech),He said if you want to keep your warranty use 5w20,dam i get Moble 1 5w30 for free:pissed:now iam going to run the 5w20 oh well:D

1 - 11 of 11 Posts