JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is my problem:
I have a 2008 4 door Sport (is an X with package 23 S) with 17" alloy rims and I'd like to buy some AT tires, but I have very few options here in my country :bawling: . One that looks good (probably the only one:pissed:) is AT BFGoodrich 315/75/17 .

My questions for you are:

1. Can I use this tires with my alloy standard rims?
2. Will I need wheel spacers?
3. Will a Rough Country 2.5 spacer lift be enough to fit the new tires?

Thank you in advance!!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I made a mistake. The tires are 315/70/17 so are about 34". I am not sure about my gears. I have a six steps manual gear (I am not sure if I make myself understood....:bawling:).

·
Registered
913 Posts
I understand you have the 6 speed manual transmission.... However what I am talking about is totally different gearing. research ring and pinion... You may have the X gears that are weak when upgrading in tire size.. With 34's you may get away with it, however it won't be great with hill climbing and gas consumption...

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
Rafael,

I've never been to Argentina but I'd imagine that if you wheel you are going to encounter mud. BFG AT's do not like mud. They like rocks. They like sand. They like gravel. They absolutely hate mud. :pissed:

On my last truck I had a set of BFG AT's and those tires would gum up and clog so quickly that it wasn't even funny. They would essentially become slicks.

If you're getting these tires for looks or the places where you wheel has no mud then these tires are great. If you plan on wheeling them and there is mud where you are, do yourself a favor and look at some other options. The BFG KM2 is quiet on the street but does great off road. That might be a better choice. Trust me, you don't want to make a $1300 mistake and be kicking yourself. I know this from experience. :shaking:

Hmmm... I just googled Argentina and off-road and most of the pictures showed a lot of rock up in the Andes Mtns. Some showed jungle pics with lots of mud. I donno... Maybe mud isn't an issue for you. Either way, thought you should know about the BFG AT's biggest pet peeve. ;)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I understand you have the 6 speed manual transmission.... However what I am talking about is totally different gearing. research ring and pinion... You may have the X gears that are weak when upgrading in tire size.. With 34's you may get away with it, however it won't be great with hill climbing and gas consumption...
Hi Airric00! Yes, I have 6 speed manual transmission and most likely X gears. When comparing my current tires with the 34" I see that the change means an increase of 7% in diameter, so I asume that I will be loosing about 7% of torque. I this what you mean?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Rafael,

I've never been to Argentina but I'd imagine that if you wheel you are going to encounter mud. BFG AT's do not like mud. They like rocks. They like sand. They like gravel. They absolutely hate mud. :pissed:

On my last truck I had a set of BFG AT's and those tires would gum up and clog so quickly that it wasn't even funny. They would essentially become slicks.

If you're getting these tires for looks or the places where you wheel has no mud then these tires are great. If you plan on wheeling them and there is mud where you are, do yourself a favor and look at some other options. The BFG KM2 is quiet on the street but does great off road. That might be a better choice. Trust me, you don't want to make a $1300 mistake and be kicking yourself. I know this from experience. :shaking:

Hmmm... I just googled Argentina and off-road and most of the pictures showed a lot of rock up in the Andes Mtns. Some showed jungle pics with lots of mud. I donno... Maybe mud isn't an issue for you. Either way, thought you should know about the BFG AT's biggest pet peeve. ;)
Hi Ipe! Thank you for your advice!! Unfourtunately the size of the mistake here would be about $2,500.-!!! or $3,000.- if we include a second spare...
Mud is not an important issue in my wheeling plans (eventually I can use chains), so I think BFG AT's will be ok. In fact I used those in my previous track with excelente results in snow, sand and climbing.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts