JKOwners Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Registered
991 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking to get a set of steel wheels for my 2012 JKUR to be used strictly for off roading. My Jeep is lifted on AEV's 4.5" Dualsport RS lift. Tires will be 37/12.50/17 BFG KM2's or Mickey Thompson MTZ's. Unless, I find something I like more. Looking for help/input on deciding on what to get and why. I'm considering the Black Rock wheels (Made in USA & Cheap) or the Rugged Ridge wheels (Made "Overseas" & not as cheap but still cheap). Does anyone have experience with either/both of these wheels? Or, are there any other similar good choices that would be good to consider? Thanks in advance!
-Jeff

Black Rock Dune Series 941
Classic 5-Spoke with fluted accents and a satin matte black finish.
-Standard Black Rock satin matte black center cap included in box.
-Available in 15", 16" and 17" sizes.
-Made in U.S.A.
Specs: 941785045 17x8 5x5.0 0 4 1/2" 38 3.300 1700 132712BR 232712BR

Black Rock Type D Series 942

The D Window design - easily the most famous steel wheel design in the world. Satin matte black finish.
-Standard Black Rock satin matte black center cap included in box.
-Available in 15", 16" and 17" sizes.
-Made in U.S.A.
Specs: 942795045 17x9 5x5 -12 4 1/2 40 3.300 1700 132712BR 232712BR

Rugged Ridge D-Window 15500.70 17x9 Size 4.5" Backspacing

Legendary looks, brutally epic strength. Each Rugged Ridge steel wheel is stamped from heavy gauge steel and powder coated with a durable black finish. Our wheels have been engineered, tested and certified to meet and exceed the strenuous SAE J2530 standards for wheel strength and durability. Turning a million cycles at double their load capacity to ensure they could hold up to the abuses of off road use. Because a Jeep isn’t a Jeep until its lifted and outfitted with over-sized wheels and tires. Special custom design made specifically for the Wrangler JK. Includes FREE Rugged Ridge Center Cap.

· Registered
991 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I don't "have to" go with steel wheels. I originally wanted to go with beadlocks, but the ones I wanted (TR Double Beadlocks) are gonna be expensive. Normally, I wouldn't let that stop me, BUT I did just spent a ton on my HRE's. So, I thought I'd go cheap and steel considering these were strictly going to be fore wheeling.
If you have to go with steel wheels, go with the first one posted. I hate "D window" wheels and think they're ugly as ...............
Good to know. Thanks!
I have run the black rock steel 997's for 4 years with no issues, they are battered and bruised but still work great although it takes A LOT of weight to balance them nowadays.

· Registered
991 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

· Registered
398 Posts
I went with black rock steelies 950 "lobo" for my rig. pics in my garage. they looked good to me, but i did have to get wheel spacers.

· Registered
310 Posts
I am running Black Rock 997's a like them a lot. When I changed tires I did take the time to take an angle grinder around the edges as they has some pretty good rock rash. I cleaned them up and hit them with a coat of paint and they are good as new.

· Registered
991 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Good job bumping an old thread. The OP has Jeep ADD and I think he's on to big stereos now. I don't think he ever bought any wheels............:lol:
Lmfao!!! I definitely do. I have moved my thoughts to the stereo but haven't forgot about another set of 37's and wheels. But, I think I'll wait a while and do beadlocks, but who knows, lol.

· Registered
2,707 Posts
Lmfao!!! I definitely do. I have moved my thoughts to the stereo but haven't forgot about another set of 37's and wheels. But, I think I'll wait a while and do beadlocks, but who knows, lol.

Look!! There's a squirrell!!

· Registered
39 Posts
Look!! There's a squirrell!!
LOL on the squirrel!

So, since I'm looking at the same thing, does anyone have the Dunes installed? I'd love to see 'em. I just came across that style myself and love the 5 spoke design. I'm just hoping they hold up as well as the Soft 8s and D Window that seem to be more popular with Jeepers.

Thanks!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.